Insulated plasterboard & green oak rafters?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have to put up some 37mm (25+12mm) insulated plasterboard and attach it to pitched green oak rafters, anyone know if you can get long stainless steel drywall screws? Or any other ideas?

Many thanks.

Magnets carries the sheradised drywall screws up to 90mm, and I think screw fix do as well,hope this helps.

Stainless square drive screws

http://www.pts-uk.com/Products/Woodscre ... ing_Screws

Id be wary of pozi csk stainless, you might have a lot of head mushing or screws snapping.

Screwfix do turbo ultra stainless.

I wonder if you will need to pilot first. Maybe whack a few zinc screws first to position the board.

I font know if those green deck screws would last in oak?

You're insulated plasterboard supplier should be able to supply you with the correct dry wall timber screws for just that
very job, get you're supplier to look up the needed screw length in the B G White book.
At a guess I'd say 65mm, There's a link below.
British gypsum screws are made for the job, ensure you have the wood, course threaded screws,
Most drywall screws are rust resistant, otherwise they would go rusty when skimmed or jointed, some are better.
The fine threaded screws are for metal stud ONLY.
If you have a lot of boarding to screw, it may pay you to hire and cost out a screw gun, so much faster and simples.
Regards Rodders

http://www.adafastfix.co.uk/ProductGrp/ ... ber-Screws

Many thanks all, blackrod do you think that the gypsum screws would be ok in green oak as they are zinc plated rather than stainless?

PhilC":2o08x7gs said:
Many thanks all, blackrod do you think that the gypsum screws would be ok in green oak as they are zinc plated rather than stainless?

Yes, I would think so, but as I say check with the gypsum white book that all merchants have.
Rodders

PS, I see screwfix are selling stainless drywall screws, check them out too!

If you are putting the plasterboard on in such a way that the oak rafters will remain visible, it is a good idea to paint the plasterboard first. Green oak rafter will shrink a lot and leave paint lines everywhere if you paint between the rafters. Don't ask me how I know this.

AJB Temple":1zzail7w said:
If you are putting the plasterboard on in such a way that the oak rafters will remain visible, it is a good idea to paint the plasterboard first. Green oak rafter will shrink a lot and leave paint lines everywhere if you paint between the rafters. Don't ask me how I know this.

+1 For the above, OK, I won't ask, I've done some repair work on oak, Minstrel gallery, ceiling and floor joists etc,
It certainly can shrink, in length, as well as width and thickness.
Much better Kiln Dried when trying to "match in"
Regards Rodders.

Nope as I need more insulation to keep building control happy I need to cover the rafters. blackrod I don't suppose you have a link for the screwfix stainless steel dry wall screws? I can't find them????

PhilC":10ilw3h3 said:
Nope as I need more insulation to keep building control happy I need to cover the rafters. blackrod I don't suppose you have a link for the screwfix stainless steel dry wall screws? I can't find them????

These are supposed to be multi purpose use, I read, But they should be Bugle head, wood thread and stainless.
British Gypsum's own screws aren't very expensive as long as you have the right length, and a wood thread they should be OK, As I say check in the white book that B,G. supply their stockists with, It'll be in there.
Regards Rodders

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails- ... cat7270018

http://www.adafastfix.co.uk/ProductGrp/ ... ber-Screws

This is the Gyproc screw, made for the job, get you're supplier to price them up for you, available up to 95mm,
as I recall.

HOJ":2shcz7xx said:
I am curious, if you are closing the rafters in, why use Oak?
Long story but for my orangery the head height at the eves was at a premium and so was the amount of overall height I could use outside (low upper windows) so to gain every mm oak was used so the rafter depth could be reduced compared with softwood.

Back