Fixing Thread Barrels in Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockonehundred

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a table design which uses steel as the frame. Customers will have to attach the frame to the top themselves and I think the best way to make this easy is to drill holes where the bolts will go and set thread barrels inside. My question is what best product to use for securing the barrels in the holes? The table top is extremely heavy, made of 75mm thick, very well seasoned joist. I need something incredibly strong that fastens wood and steel. Thanks in advance.

What about seasonal wood movement?

A steel frame with simple through bolts to a wooden top
is asking for trouble.

BugBear

bugbear":q3wkaw51 said:
What about seasonal wood movement?

A steel frame with simple through bolts to a wooden top
is asking for trouble.

BugBear

Just oversize the location holes in the steel and use spreader washers under bolt heads.

stockonehundred":q3wkaw51 said:
I'm working on a table design which uses steel as the frame. Customers will have to attach the frame to the top themselves ..

Can the top design incorporate Barrel Nuts? or clamping bolts similar to those used in worktops, no bonding required.

Thanks all for the input. I think threaded inserts are the way forward. I'm also bearing in mind the ability to assemble/dismantle the table time after time and this seems the strongest option. I've taken measures to work with seasonal movement so this won't be an issue. Thanks all again...

Back