Workshop fire safety

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Copeland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Just wondering what you lot do in terms of fire safety in the workshop.

Mine is attached to the house so if there was a fire the whole place could potentially go up in flames.

I'm wondering if a smoke alarm and a fire extinguisher would be wise investments?

Cheers

Jamie Copeland":3d2reemh said:
Hi folks

Just wondering what you lot do in terms of fire safety in the workshop.

Mine is attached to the house so if there was a fire the whole place could potentially go up in flames.

I'm wondering if a smoke alarm and a fire extinguisher would be wise investments?

Cheers

Yes to both? Do you have an extinguisher? What type? Does it need regular maintenance?

Yes, yes and yes! I was once in a building that caught fire. Fortunately everyone got out unscathed but scared witless. Believe me it is very frightening to be confronted with sheets of flames and no obvious way out. Fit smoke alarms and get a couple of extinguishers and know how to use them.

blackrodd":1hzoqme8 said:
Most definitely! And if you have a reallylarge workshop/man shed without a fire exit, then make sure a window will open too!
Regards Rodders

http://www.budget-fire.co.uk/2kg-powder ... Anii8P8HAQ

Great offer! That's the one I'm going with.

Living in Scotland the fire brigade do a free home safety visit and fit free smoke alarms so I've contacted them to come and give me some advice. And a free smoke alarm, of course!

Chose the smoke alarm carefully some are set off by chemicals such as acetate. You might also want a 1 hour fire door between the house and workshop.

An A-B-C or A-B-IIIE class powder extinguisher is most suitable in my oppinion. I have a 12 kg extinguisher in my workshop but even a 6kg extinguisher makes a huge difference. Im my oppinion it pays off in the long run to buy a good quality extinguisher from an industrial supplier and service it annually and have it pressure tested every 10 years. Cheap supermarket extinguishers cannot be serviced and the cost adds up over time if you buy new often enough to have one that actually works in an emergency situation.
They are safe for electricity up to 400 volt which is the highest voltage you may find in a modern workshop with three phase machinery. Single phase machinery only uses 230 volt.
I also have a fiberglass fire blanket hanging on the wall. A proper one. Some of the cheapest ones have proven to be super flammable.

I don't like carbon dioxide extinguishers as a fire in a woodworking workshop will likely spread quickly all the way up to the ceiling and carbon dioxide cannot be used to extinguish from below. I don't like foam because it leads electricity and a workshop is full of electrical cables which will likely be involved in a fire.

Just my oppinions......based on what I learned when I took the hot works certificate.

heimlaga":37bi4l01 said:
An A-B-C or A-B-IIIE class powder extinguisher is most suitable in my oppinion. I have a 12 kg extinguisher in my workshop but even a 6kg extinguisher makes a huge difference. Im my oppinion it pays off in the long run to buy a good quality extinguisher from an industrial supplier and service it annually and have it pressure tested every 10 years. Cheap supermarket extinguishers cannot be serviced and the cost adds up over time if you buy new often enough to have one that actually works in an emergency situation.
They are safe for electricity up to 400 volt which is the highest voltage you may find in a modern workshop with three phase machinery. Single phase machinery only uses 230 volt.
I also have a fiberglass fire blanket hanging on the wall. A proper one. Some of the cheapest ones have proven to be super flammable.

I don't like carbon dioxide extinguishers as a fire in a woodworking workshop will likely spread quickly all the way up to the ceiling and carbon dioxide cannot be used to extinguish from below. I don't like foam because it leads electricity and a workshop is full of electrical cables which will likely be involved in a fire.

Just my oppinions......based on what I learned when I took the hot works certificate.

This is where some knowledge is vital, and a visit from you're local fire officer is a good start.
Both the foam and powder are for different fires, powder for electrical, and a single isolating switch would be good.
He will tell you all you need to know, good thinking on you're part.
Regards Rodders

Back