Reducing a gas fire opening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheptonphil

Scrumpy junkie
Reaction score
Hi All

Have just removed a gas fire from the fireplace. The flue is no problem, and the fire will be installed by a gas safe registered fitter.

First though I have to close the opening size down. It's five inches too wide and four inches too tall. The fire surround has two moulded sides and a mantle with a flat panel insert the fire sits against.

What flat board can I use to either cover the whole of the flat inner panel with a smaller opening, or make a horseshoe of said material to overlap and reduce the opening size. I don't think I could use mdf or ply as I suspect, although don't know, if it has to be fire resistant/retardant. It would then need painting. I did think of steel plate, but I don't have the proper tools to work metal.

Many thanks for suggestions

Phil

Phil

I would suggest that you arrange for you're appointed gas fitter to meet up with you at you're home with the
Gas fire.
He then can tell you what he is required to do, to fit the fire, and sign the compliance form.
I suspect you will need a brick masonry reduction and plastered so as to be a tight seal when finished.
Regards Rodders

Hmm

Probably best as you suggest. The house is rented out and with new tennants coming in three weeks I need to get get heating in and certified for the tenancy agreement. Got to get a wriggle on.

Phil

As Rodders says.
I was replacing a floor standing gas fire for a modern "wall insert" type and the fitter explained that the existing cavity needed to be bricked in to quite a close tolerance for the new fire.
He actually drew me a rough plan and was only prepared to fit the fire if the opening matched his plan exactly. If I remember the fit was only a centimetre larger than the new fire so not a lot of room for error. I actually managed to use block paving bricks rather than have to cut normal bricks but it was a "hold your breath" moment when he came to fit it.

Back