Elektra Beckum 315 worry wart

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badabec

Reaction score
Hello, I'm usually a metal basher, clock making really, but I've veered into woodwork.

I have bought a German made Elektra Beckum 315 bandsaw . I have noticed that as standard, there is no pressure spring in the blade tensioner.
Should I be worried?
Should I try to fit one?
Are they any good?
My last bandsaw was a 3 wheel hobby type with no spring in the tensioner and it snapped the blades with annoying regularity.
Hence my concern for the lack of a pressure spring.

All and any help gratefully received

Thanks

Hello and welcome. Here's hopefully the user manual for you're E B Bandsaw
Page 8, item 7.7 shows the blade tension instructions, and no sign of the spring you mentioned,
Have a butchers you're self and see,
Unless there is a problem with the tension threading being tight or damaged,
It looks very much as if the blade problem is either user over tension the blade, or cheepo blades, or both.
get on to TUFFSAWS and let him know what you wish to cut and He'll do the rest.
Like most quality stuff, his blades are cheapest, you may not think that when you pay for a couple or more, but
in the long term Good Value for yer money.
HTH Regards Rodders

http://www.manualguru.com/elektra-becku ... ual/page-8

Hi & welcome

Owned my 315 for 18 months, use it all the time, great machine =D> .

I have never felt the need for pressure spring on the blade tensioner and have never had any problem with broken blades or blades slipping off the bands.

It will not take long to get the feel of when the tension is correct :) :) .

Hello, thanks for the advice. I initially broke the blades on the 3 wheeler by buying blades that were too thick, once I'd bought thinner blades it was much better. After that it was operator error, sawing a 5" block of green chestnut is bound to cause some problems!
Now I know not to worry, I won't.
I've just bought some blades from Hamilton Beverstock. Any feedback? Other than I should have joined this forum ages ago...

Sorry, another question.

The book of words for the saw (thanks for the link) suggests the narrowest blade is 1/4 inch. Is there anything to stop me using an 1/8 inch wide blade? I'd like to do some bandsaw boxes...

Do a little research - it seems that you are limited mainly by the guides, so you need to make up some out of MDF or something sacrificial. You'll be surprised how tight a 1/4" blade will cut with the correct tooth formation for the job, though.

Latest posts

Back