Electric Motors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsby

Established Member
Reaction score
A general question regarding machine motor identification.

Might sound strange, but are all single phase 240v machine motors without brushes “INDUCTION” or is this a generalization :?:

Brushed motors are "universal". Induction motors have no brushes so I think it's a fairly general rule. I have seen recently some cordless power tools moving to a brushless system. Not sure if they are induction in the classic sense with capacitors for single phase etc. but I'd be interested to find out too.

Brushless and induction are slightly different.

Brushless uses permanent magnets in conjunction with the winding to create movement. Mostly DC.

Induction has no magnets. They rely on separate coils to create the magnetic fields. Though slightly more complex in 3 phase systems.

Myfordman":20x7fyuh said:
Mark,

You might think you sig file is clever but it does not get my details correct so it is a bit of a chocolate teapot.

???????????????????????

memzey":3pvqr40l said:
Brushed motors are "universal". Induction motors have no brushes so I think it's a fairly general rule. I have seen recently some cordless power tools moving to a brushless system. Not sure if they are induction in the classic sense with capacitors for single phase etc. but I'd be interested to find out too.

These cordless tool motors are similar to the latest model aircraft and car motors in that they are 3-phase motors. The single-phase battery supply is converted to AC by the speed controller and connected to the motor with 3 supply cables (wires), changing over any two of which will reverse the direction of rotation.

Myfordman":175u4g2p said:
Mark,

You might think you sig file is clever but it does not get my details correct so it is a bit of a chocolate teapot.
I wouldn't say I thought it was clever, just a little different. And it works for me on several different platforms.

Myfordman":2cz3o5ss said:
Mark,

Oh look at that. My signature has now been changed for me. With no warning or explanation. How very kind. Trivial.

Monkey Mark":qp8bztef said:
Myfordman":qp8bztef said:
Mark,

Oh look at that. My signature has now been changed for me. With no warning or explanation. How very kind. Trivial.

I thought it light hearted fun , was I missing something offensive about it ?

clk230":pw1fnmwe said:
Monkey Mark":pw1fnmwe said:
Myfordman":pw1fnmwe said:
Mark,

I thought it light hearted fun , was I missing something offensive about it ?
Well I must be missing it too.

Hemsby":2qmftsmb said:
Well Im totaly lost. I must have missed something in translationd and it was my post #-o :)
I had a little thing in my signature that shows the operating system, ip afresh etc of whomever was looking at it. Someone criticised it and now my sig has been edited.
It was just a little fun, or so I thought.

Back