Spindle moulder advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentish steve

Reaction score
Just looking for some advice on spindle moulder as I've only ever used 3 phase, was just wonder how much of a difference it is to have a single phase. Would a single phase machine cope with putting a bevel on a hardwood Cill for a box frame for instance

I have also only worked with 3 phase machines, but I think a single phase 3 hp motor would work.
Perhaps a few more passes.

my coronet has a 1hp single phase motor and a 4" dia spindle moulder, works fine. But then I have nothing to compare it to.

If you've got enough HP then you shouldn't notice the difference however single phase machines are not typically as 'industrial' as their three phase brothers.

Perhaps a three phase machine running through a digital inverter would be the best option?

If you have experience of 3 phase then you should be OK,
Depending on the size, (some of the listed shop front's can be of big sections) I used to saw mine out after doing the frame step down on the wobble saw, and as you know most 3 phase Wadkin type planers had a lower bearing housing under the telescopic sliding guard allowing 20mm shoulder to clear any rebate up to that depth overhand, which is what I did taking off the last couple of mil.
On the smaller Machinery stuff, As Wildman says just take a couple more passes on the spindle but don't forget to tack a packer at the fence bottom to stop any likely hood of tipping into the cut.
This also enables the safe fitting of the shaw guard.
HTH Regards Rodders

I run a Segwick SM4ii which is single phase, to answer your question, it has no problems with the task stated. I cut cills in just a single pass with a feeder and a Whitehill cill block with a nose cutter.

My Hammer 4 HP single phase spindle is fairly powerful, I think 4 HP is as big as you will get with single phase.

When I have made large cills with a single rebate I have made them in two pieces with the sloping cill section run through the thickness planer and added the up stand on after with a ply tongue.

Cheers Peter

The Sedgwick is 3.8KW or c5hp. Has enough guts to do most stuff.

thanks for the replies im looking for one at the moment and with the money i'd save on a single phase it would allow me to buy something else aswell :D

When I built my current workshop I was concerned because it would have to be single phase. I shouldn't have worried, I use mainly large Felder machines and single phase or not they munch through Oak, Hard Maple, Wenge and Rosewood like it was Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream!

Latest posts

Back