Old (blue) Record/Coronet Lathe noise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Togalosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I have on long term loan an old, blue, long Coronet lathe. It looks like the old version of a Record CL1.

It almost always makes a loud clanking noise, especially under load. For ages /years & didn't think much of it until I used another machine & also read a comment in the For Sale forum saying that this is a common & 'annoying' issue with this model. I believe it's a bearing noise on the drive end/head.

So is this is normal & nothing to worry about or is it a fault that will get worse ? If it is a fault - would it be the bearings? (I assume Record would supply them or I could just to the local bearing supplier). There are no other problems like play in the drive dog..erm.. spindle (?).

Any advice is most welcome.
Togs

For the bearings to make a clanking noise, I would expect the spindle to be very loose and the machine virtually unusable.

Instead, I'd be looking for maybe a loose key and or grub screw on one of the pulleys. If this is allowed to continued unchecked, there could be irreparable wear to the spindle or pulley.
On a machine noises are always bad news and need to be investigated and cured.
Yes bearings and belts will be far far cheaper from an online bearing factor than buying as machine manufacturers spares.

Hello Myfordman,

I didn't suspect the grub screw or key as I am sure that there's is no play anywhere.. but that makes more sense than bearings. Bearings don't really clank.

I'll take a much closer look tomorrow.

Thanks a lot
Togs

Ha.. solved .. just the slightest play on the spindle (?) pulley, hardly noticeable, but with some handling it then became much more pronounced, but still not a lot. Eventually I found that there were 2 grub screws & the lower one was loose enough. It now runs sweetly - ace.

Thanks Myfordman.

Latest posts

Back