The No3 treadle/hand grinder from MILLERS FALLS circa 1901 >

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
I've had a hankering for one of these for a while now and missed out on an absolutely MINT one at a vintage sale a while back :( It even had a little "rams horn" shaped stopper in the water drain outlet =P~

Not sure on the available dates yet but I have one catalogue from 1908 with them in.
It was lurking for some time in a garden in Devon until it sold to me on ebay.
Along with a few others a very nice man offered and then picked it up for me =D> , then we decided on a hol to Devon and fetch this back at the same time 8)
It was bought with the intention of restoring and displaying but it has an olde worlde patina (and moss/lichen) from being left out in that garden for years.
A charming thing which is now staying as it is, plus it's blinkin HEAVY to hump around shows.....
Andy

Very nice indeed. Shame you won't be taking it on tour. Thin line between patina and decay though Andy!! Maybe (if it was mine) I'd lose the moss and outdoor look, but otherwise leave as is?

Yes Douglas, alas a very awkward thing to lift and those 2 hernia repairs start twinging before I lift it #-o
May be get it to a little meet sometime.
Apart from the 2 cracked spindle retainers it is good and solid :wink:
Pity it was painted silver as it would have been black with probably a bit of red coach lining when new 8)
Who knows, if one day I'm short of a restoration job :roll:

Andy

Wow Andy, you do find some good stuff. I'm especially impressed that you arrange your holidays to fit in with collecting it!

I agree with Douglas that it needs tlc rather than neglect. New babbit in the bearings, cracked parts welded or replaced, oiled up and in working order.
Then it would be time for another ukw sharpening event, held somewhere within staggering distance of the heaviest exhibit.
. :)

Looks very nice - I like the handle / treadle combo. I've only ever seen that when someone has adapted a hand crank tool.

I'm with everyone else - you have to restore!!

Imagine sitting out in the garden sharpening your tools on that.

Stanleymonkey":19texbbt said:
Looks very nice - I like the handle / treadle combo. I've only ever seen that when someone has adapted a hand crank tool.

I'm with everyone else - you have to restore!!

Imagine sitting out in the garden sharpening your tools on that.

Crikey-charlie, how did you manage to dig this out Stanleymonkey?
Well it is still in the same condition :roll: and has been to 2 very local shows :D would be nice to get it out and about more, maybe the open workshop do next year at Richards place :wink:

Andy

Back