new or used lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve p

Reaction score
Hi every one
lam very new to wood working and this forum .l would like to ask about prices on lathes ihave about £100-200 pounds to spend .l wood like a lathe about 100 cm long with a good size bowl turning size . lve seen the luberjack 350 for £129.99 but would lget better 2nd hand.

i fear that you are wanting rather more than the budget will buy. Anything new at that price will be very low quality. You may get something used, but even secondhand, you are going to be lucky.

thanks as l have said not to worried about all dancing and singing lathe .just any one read about the lumberjack 350.
ive also just ordered a set of nielson HSS gouges any one had these are they ok to start with again thanks all

You'll probably be better off with something like a used Record DML24 or similar. They come up quite often on eBay, or try local adverts.

ok thanks woodpig and marcros l will start looking also thanks for taking the time to replying just one more que ..
l have a grinder with a sanding belt on one end ,is this with replacing the sanding belt :?: with a ceramic belts (differant grades) ok to sharpen chisels and gouges with . thanks again steve.

you will probably struggle to get ceramic belts in fine enough grits- they stop at about 120g. Above that, the zirconium will do though. The sorby pro-edge is a belt sander, used for sharpening, so in theory it will work. How wide is the belt- the sorby is 50mm, and much narrower might be difficult for some tools.

The problem that you will have, unless you can compensate with adding weight or bolting it down is that cheap lathes, and in particular new cheap lathes will have is a lack of mass. This is apparent when you put on a hefty bowl blank, and it will be dancing around the workshop. You have said that you don't want all singing and dancing, which really means variable speed. What you really need to look for is something that is nice and stable, and as heavy as possible.

If you buy sensibly, and then do want larger capacity, then you shouldn't lose much money when you come to move it on. Maybe I was a bit pessimistic in my first post.

I use a belt sander, albeit quite a large one and they work well for tool sharpening. You'll probably need to make a few jigs for it though to get repeatable results.

This is my sander. I made a decent table for it and use jigs like those used on the Sorby Pro Edge.

_IGP2936.jpg

Hi Steve.
I have a myford Mystro lathe that I want to sell. Big and heavy. It's my first lathe but I've decided to go smaller.
I want to get it up in the for sale area but I need 19 posts.

I think it's a good starter lathe if you have the room. I'm looking for £300.

hi paul hd . hi timber .
paul l think it may be abit out my price range thanks anyway maybe one for the future.
timber cannot find pm can you try again. Sorry if l dont get back to you straight away but my wife is ill and l have look after her first.

For less than 200 I got a coronet major lathe made in the 70s. I haven't used it yet due to health issues but it looks promising. Old stuff might require some work, and this one did need some. But it is heavy, solid steel and cast iron and the head stock swivels so one can turn larger stuff. I would have liked a slower motor though. I am leaning towards a 3ph motor with variable frequency drive. Sometime in the future...

steve p":3bi7xsje said:
hi paul hd . hi timber .
paul l think it may be abit out my price range thanks anyway maybe one for the future.
timber cannot find pm can you try again. Sorry if l dont get back to you straight away but my wife is ill and l have look after her first.
Hi Steve.
No problem mate. Good luck with your search.
Best wishes to the wife for a speedy recovery.

woodpig":3oz2hxkm said:
This is my sander. I made a decent table for it and use jigs like those used on the Sorby Pro Edge.

_IGP2936.jpg
What is that, looks huge! Must admit I'd like a sorby but they are so expensive, might look for a used belt sander

Latest posts

Back