Jewellery box advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ1

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to make a jewellery box for my mother as a Christmas present but I'm stuck at the first hurdle. Would it be preferable to make it from solid hardwood or is it better to use MDF and venneer it? I have a small selection of various hardwoods and 'furniture grade' venneer, so could use either.
Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

either would work. in some ways, hardwood is easier, because it will save having to lip the exposed cuts, or veneer edges. I would probably veneer the top, to avoid issues with movement.

Lots of ideas on YouTube to get you started.
Like Marcos, I'd be inclined to go for a solid wood box but you can jazz up with a veneered insert in the lid.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Hardwood sides and veneered top and bottom sounds like a good plan.
If anyone else has any further recommendations, please let me know, thanks.

make the sides nice and thin, but buy the hinges first. Nothing worse than nice thin sides that you can't get a hinge small enough for.

dont skimp on the hinges- if you don't want to spend a fortune, at least get solid brass butt hinges and polish them up rather than cheap plated ones. That way, you will still have a quality end result.

Thanks Marcos. What sort of thickness would you reckon looks about right for a jewellery box. I'm thinking maybe 15mm ?????

it depends on the size on the box.

I usually work on about 300 x 200 x 100mm tall, with 10 or 11mm sides. it looks about right to me- a smaller box might want a mm or two smaller, but hinges do start to become an issue then.

I think that these were the hinges that I used, in the smallest size. http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/hinges/hinge ... rass-hinge There was a second set that they sent me too which was not on the website, and I really don't remember which I preferred. Screws are sold separately.

That reminds me, I have another box to do soon as a christening present.

Thanks again Marcros that's given me a great starting point and I shall definitely be ordering a small assortment of those hinges :)

JJ1":9kil6vur said:
Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Hardwood sides and veneered top and bottom sounds like a good plan.
If anyone else has any further recommendations, please let me know, thanks.

I'm in the middle of 2 that are to be xmas presents. Both hardwood with veneered tops. I've dovetailed the boxes, but plan to do more with mitred corners.

I've been working on a compound hinge idea that involves two brass (or other material) linkages built into each side of the box, so that the lid initially opens as if it was conventionally hinged at the back, then pivots so that it's vertical and tucked into the back of the box. I've made a set of linkages but need to work out how to construct the sides - it works perfectly in Lego...

Ah Lego, where would the Falkirk Wheel be without it not there for sure. Was told an anicdote about the designer of the wheel about how he used his kids lego to prove the concept and actually used it at the proposal meeting to get the contract all 4500 pieces

Back