110v Table saw with transformer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinle

Reaction score
Hi,

I've bought a table saw that turned out to be 110v and wondering what my options were. It was from a friend of a friend who's husband had died, it's still boxed and unused so I'd rather resell it than ask to return it, I think she has enough to worry about at the minute.

Before I bite the bullet and sell it I was wondering if I'd be able to run it off the mains via a transformer as it seems a fantastic saw. It's a 2100W machine so for 110v thats 19A, I've been looking around and while I can find plenty of 3000kva transformers they have 2 sockets at 16A each :-( Does anyone know if I'm going to be able to do this without spending 100s on a transformer? Being a hobbyist and workshop based I have no experience on 110v or know what is a good transformer. All his other equipment was 230v so didn't even occur to me it won't be, maybe that was why it was still boxed.

Thanks, Martin

Plenty of site transformers available with 32A sockets (screwfix, ebay amazon and others) - but personally if that was too costly then I'd wing it on a 16A socket - they mostly come with overcurrent protection and it will probably be ok. YMMV

Dee J":12m7fa55 said:
Plenty of site transformers available with 32A sockets (screwfix, ebay amazon and others) - but personally if that was too costly then I'd wing it on a 16A socket - they mostly come with overcurrent protection and it will probably be ok. YMMV

Many thanks for that. Had another look and can see some with 32a and 16a plugs, when I saw 2 plugs in the description I wrongly assumed 2x16A. I'm a bit confused about Continuous vs intermittent rating. One I've seen (a Carroll & Meynell) has a Continuous rating: 1500VA with a intermittent rating: 3000VA. Any idea how long I'd likely to be able to get using the saw before it overheats?

The transformer claims to have thermal overload protection, is it safe to rely on this or should I be strict about turning it off regualrly. To be honest most of the time I'd be stopping and starting, but now and again I use my current saw for extended periods when doing a lot of repeated cuts.

My Bosch GTS was 110v, so I ran it off the same transformer that ran the router on my US-made CNC machine.

When I looked into transformers the general advice was that "intermittent" meant up to about 15-30 minutes at a time.

Having a transformer does open up a lot of bargains.

The transformer will only be heating up when you are using the saw and unless you are doing production levels of sawing, this won't be a problem.
**Sweeping generalisation alert**

The sort of saw that will be 110v is likely to have a brush type screaming motor fitted so it in itself will have an intermittent rating (read the manual or look on the motor plate for an "S" rating) and will be so noisy you will want to switch it off anyway.

hth

I've had an Electra beckum ,now metabo ,saw for years. I got it in 110v for site use but it doesn't really leave the shop. It has run fine for years off a 3kva tranny

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Sporky McGuffin":3kixf4tq said:
My Bosch GTS was 110v, so I ran it off the same transformer that ran the router on my US-made CNC machine.

When I looked into transformers the general advice was that "intermittent" meant up to about 15-30 minutes at a time.

Having a transformer does open up a lot of bargains.

Thanks for the help, I'll nip to screwfix tomorrow. I've often seen things on ebay for 110v going for a good price, but never good enough to warrant buying a transformer. I guess once I've bit the bullet 110v equipment is no longer out of bounds.

Myfordman":cv0cx0c9 said:
The transformer will only be heating up when you are using the saw and unless you are doing production levels of sawing, this won't be a problem.
**Sweeping generalisation alert**

The sort of saw that will be 110v is likely to have a brush type screaming motor fitted so it in itself will have an intermittent rating (read the manual or look on the motor plate for an "S" rating) and will be so noisy you will want to switch it off anyway.

hth

I have good ear protection!

Just to provide an exception to MM's sweeping generalization above, the Elu flipover saw (and probably others they made) is whisper quiet! Not sure of its rating without looking, but it runs fine off a 16A site transformer.

Back