Any Woodrat owners on here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau

Established Member
Reaction score
I am newish here but seen very little mention of Woodrats. I have had one for many years and would not be without it for dovetails and tenons. If I had to start again it would one of the first things on the shopping list. I thought it was one of those tools every pro shop would end up with but this does not seem to be case.

Be interested to hear how others get on with theirs and why they don't appear to have reached the masses.

I've used a Woodrat in the past and currently have a Router Boss. As a full time furniture maker they tend to fit into fairly niche roles in my workshop, such as replacing many of the jigs that I'd otherwise need for making chairs and angled components, used as a general purpose back up if I want to keep the router table or spindle moulder set up for a particular operation, or speeding up dovetails if a client doesn't want to pay for hand cut work.

I believe the Woodrat has been improved recently, but the earlier model I had was a fairly fussy tool to set up, accuracy meant lots of careful shimming and test cuts. I guess that "fiddliness" combined with the fact that you can buy a pretty serious router table for less money, meant they never really caught on. Even more telling is that you can regularly buy them second hand but barely used, so it would seem lots of owners don't really get on with them.

I have one that I use from time to time. I do rate it and would not want to be without it but the truth is I do not use it enough. If I made more small stuff like boxes and cupboards then I would use it far more. I seem to spend most time making bigger things such as doors, windows and stairs where there is not an easy role for it.
It is a bit of a 'Marmite' product people who like them appreciate what they can do. Others do not see the difference with all the other jigs out there.
I do not think it had the investment it needed but that was probably a function of sales.

PAC1":uxgbfsts said:
I seem to spend most time making bigger things such as doors, windows and stairs where there is not an easy role for it.

Tenons? Seriously if I make doors I always use the Woodrat. Sure I am limited to a 50mm tenon but found that it more than up to the task for doors. I have a spindle and tenoning cutters but being able to do both planes at the same setup saves a whole load of time not to mention the perfection of the shoulders you get with a good cutter.

I have made some major mods to aid tenon cutting. Will post up some pics

Beau":2nvaib1s said:
PAC1":2nvaib1s said:
I seem to spend most time making bigger things such as doors, windows and stairs where there is not an easy role for it.

Tenons? Seriously if I make doors I always use the Woodrat. Sure I am limited to a 50mm tenon but found that it more than up to the task for doors. I have a spindle and tenoning cutters but being able to do both planes at the same setup saves a whole load of time not to mention the perfection of the shoulders you get with a good cutter.

I am a bit old fashioned. A mortice and tenon on an external door is a through tenon and wedged.
On windows it is marginal but I usually go with the spindle because of the mouldings I use.
For internal doors such as wardrobes I agree the woodrat has advantages but Dom and big Dom have started to impinge on this.

Beau":2n93ijc9 said:
PAC1":2n93ijc9 said:

Yes please, I would be interested to see some pics. I've wondered how you would use it to make a door as you are obviously limited to the length of stile you can stand up on its end under the woodrat.

It's not really a problem with the stile as you'll normally cut the mortice in the stile, so the workpiece can be horizontal.

It would be a problem though if you were building a table or a sideboard, indeed any item longer than about 48", where you want tenons on the end of longish rails. You could try holding it horizontally and flip the workpiece over for each side of the tenon. Bit of a faff though, at that point I'd conclude that there are easier and more accurate ways of getting the job done, but I'm sure the real Woodrat/Router Boss fanboys would treat it all as a challenge and mount their machines halfway up an outside wall in order to get the clearance!

This is of particular interest to me as I've been considering the purchase of a decent jig specifically for Dovetails.
In an ideal world I'd practice 'til I'm 50 and get good at thrashing them out by hand.
In the real world (or my world anyway) I need to be able to small production runs of up to a maximum of 20 drawers maybe every three months or so.
I bought (as a test really) the Axminster Axcalibur jig which does work (sort of) but is hopelessly 'sloppy' and would never work for protracted periods of work. (By the way, if you want a detailed review of the jig which tells you everything you need to know, here it is - It's rubbish. Don't buy it.)

Obviously the 'daddy' of all dovetail jogs is the Leigh system, and it's currently top of my list.

Would either the Woodrat or the Router Boss be a better investment? - a question for Custard, Beau and PAC1.

One of the things that would concern me is that finding a free bit of wall on which to permanently mount one of the above tools will be difficult. If the tool is really a game changer then I'd find some space, but I like the portability of the Leigh Jig.

Woodmonkey":3lqw0vn7 said:
Beau":3lqw0vn7 said:
PAC1":3lqw0vn7 said:

Yes please, I would be interested to see some pics. I've wondered how you would use it to make a door as you are obviously limited to the length of stile you can stand up on its end under the woodrat.

Going to be lazy and post a link to pictures of it elsewhere but can take any close ups you might want http://www.aldel.co.uk/Mods14_2.htm

custard":ycacs5n9 said:
I'm sure the real Woodrat/Router Boss fanboys would treat it all as a challenge and mount their machines halfway up an outside wall in order to get the clearance!

Haha yep done that :D

Zeddedhed":2fimgvdw said:
Obviously the 'daddy' of all dovetail jogs is the Leigh system, and it's currently top of my list.

Would either the Woodrat or the Router Boss be a better investment? - a question for Custard, Beau and PAC1.

One of the things that would concern me is that finding a free bit of wall on which to permanently mount one of the above tools will be difficult. If the tool is really a game changer then I'd find some space, but I like the portability of the Leigh Jig.

I went to a show and watched the Leigh being demoed. Can't say I was impressed. You were tied to their cutters and the dovetails made were sloppy. This may have been due to user error but still this was a demo to sell the machine and all it did was put me off. As for the Woodrat I would not recommend it for many of the uses they suggest but for dovetails and tenons I have yet to see a better machine other than possibly a Router Boss. Not seen one of these in the flesh yet and don't know the ins and outs but the Router Boss seems to be blatantly stealing someone else's very innovative idea with no repercussions.

Zeddedhed":gyh7chdg said:
This is of particular interest to me as I've been considering the purchase of a decent jig specifically for Dovetails.
In an ideal world I'd practice 'til I'm 50 and get good at thrashing them out by hand.
In the real world (or my world anyway) I need to be able to small production runs of up to a maximum of 20 drawers maybe every three months or so.
I bought (as a test really) the Axminster Axcalibur jig which does work (sort of) but is hopelessly 'sloppy' and would never work for protracted periods of work. (By the way, if you want a detailed review of the jig which tells you everything you need to know, here it is - It's rubbish. Don't buy it.)

I normally cut dovetails by hand, but I've always kept a jig for those jobs where the price just won't allow it. First I had a Woodrat, then a Leigh, and now I've got a Router Boss. It might sound capricious but I bought them all second hand and sold the Woodrat and Leigh for the same amount I paid for them, so if you're prepared to be patient you can dip a low risk toe in the water.

It's important to emphasise that they all have strengths and weaknesses, I'm conscious these type of discussions often get dominated by out and out fanboys, who take any criticism of "their" tools personally. For what it's worth these have been my experiences,

-You need to use the Leigh jig regularly to build up operating speed. But once you do it's the fastest and most efficient of all the jigs I've used, especially for half lap dovetails. Let a few months pass without using it though and you'll be back at square one. Another problem is that it will live on a shelf, so you'll have to dig it out and set it up in order to use it, where as the Woodrat and Router Boss live on a wall and are ready to go at a moments notice. The Leigh will likely get used on your bench, so the longest component is little more than the height of your bench, the Woodrat/Router Boss are wall mounted so gain an extra 500-600mm in workpiece height which is often critical. Sure, you could build higher frames for all of them, but in reality you never will!

-The Leigh can produce dovetails that are pretty close to handcut, but the thickness of the drawer front is a critical dimension. You need to fit this dimension to available router bits so that the thinnest part of the cutter tail co-incides with the very edge of the board. Even a mill or two makes quite a difference here so you need to plan ahead and size your projects to work in "Leigh friendly" dimensions which tend to be thicker than I'd normally use. If you force fit available cutters to whatever thickness your drawer front happens to be then the result can quickly start to look very machine cut.

-The Woodrat and Router Boss can use all the Leigh cutters, plus they can use extra fine HSS dovetail cutters that are not quite "needle" or London pattern, but they're pretty damn close! The problem (besides snapped cutters) is they have a 1:9 slope so as not to stress the ultra fine neck of the cutter. You might think that 1:9 isn't too far from the traditional 1:8 , but I can spot them from the other side of the room and they're starting to get a bit close to looking like a box joint (actually many hand cut needle dovetails use 1:7 or even 1:6 to avoid exactly that box joint look).

-The earlier model of Woodrat that I used was pretty fiddly, and precision wasn't always what I wanted without a lot of time consuming shimming. I believe they've since beefed it up but there's still an issue in that users keep saying, "we want a milling machine for wood", where as the inventor keeps saying "it's not, and never will be, a milling machine for wood". He seems to delight in very low tech and ingenious solutions. In one way it's all pretty cool (he's actually a very cool ex architect), but it's also a bit too Heath Robinson for a production workshop.

-The Router Boss tried to tackle some of these shortcomings. The sliding carriage is substantially heavier and more accurate, the various tables are much beefier, dust extraction is better, and there are digital read outs which transform accuracy and repeatability. However, it hasn't been totally successful, the laser pointer for example is a complete waste of space and furthermore it's not cheap.

-Both the Woodrat and Router Boss are much more versatile than the Leigh. I can dispense with an awful lot of chairmaking jigs by using the Router Boss's tilting table. And if I want to leave my spindle moulder, router table, Festool MFT/3 Table, or hollow chisel morticer set up for another job I can easily substitute in most cases with the Router Boss.

-Finally, all jigs are only really useful for longer runs of identical drawers. This is an issue for me as almost all my designs have graduated drawers. But if you're making kitchens for example there's probably more of an advantage to be had.

Good luck!

I have a woodrat and can confirm it is a good tool for cutting dovetails and mortice and tenons with a router. There are 1;8, 1; 7 and 1; 6 cutters available as we;; as the 1;9, the 1;6 tend to be larger.
I used to use it a fair bit but in many ways it was a victim of it's own success. I bought it so that I could do joinery tasks in the small boat yard where I work (I am really a metal worker/welder but our dock is small and we have to cover a large range of jobs). With a careful read of the manual and a couple of watches of the video on their site I was able to achieve a whole range of woodworking tasks with a good degree of accuracy. In the past few years I have got more and more into woodwork (to the degree I spend time reading this forum )and have started to do most of those tasks with hand tools. I have bought most of my hand tools second hand for peanuts and enjoy using and owning them My speed and accuracy have improved enough that I rarely use a router so the woodrat just sits there, one day I may sell it but if I was ever doing a lot of repeat work it would be handy.
I don't have any experience with the Leigh or router boss but I would recommend the woodrat for using a router to cut most joints, It;s really the router itself that I have gone off.
Paddy

I also have/had a WoodRat and now use a Router Boss. Both are good kit but I prefer the Router Boss for the same reasons as Custard and other reasons. The laser cross hairs aren't my favorite but I like the work light built in to the transparent router plate.

All sounds far too complicated for me, I've just got the trend dovetail jig to play with - perhaps I'll get on with it and want something more versatile in the future.

@ Paddy Roxburgh

Do you have any pictures of the work you do? sounds like you fit out and repair ship/boats? might be quite interesting to see :)

Cheers.

No Skills, hello
Don't really do pictures, my phone is a £10 nokia with no camera (I break them to regularly to get a modern phone). the dry dock is on the river lea at Enfield Lock. We work on narrow boats and other canal craft. We don't have a web site as were always booked up for months in advance so don't advertise other than a hand painted sign (there are far too few faclilities on the canal system, especially around here) There is some shots of the dock on you tube that one of our customers made, it;s a DIY blacking but I'm in it welding some anodes on the boat and operating the gate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgCBSmlf6FE. My girlfriend has pictures of some of the boats I've worked on (she's got an i phone) so I might ask her tomorrow if she's got anything I could post.
Paddy

Back