Pen kits & acc. advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmitch53

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if i need more than 1 mandrill for all the different pens or do you just change the bushes
Thank you
Pete

Mod Edit:- split from For Sale thread.

you normally just change the bushes and use a standard mandrel. I think this is normally 1/4".

You will see one manufacturer lists an A and B mandrel- this has come up on my searches, but I wouldnt worry about this.

Ok thank you very much i am a new wood turner and i was going to have a go at turning a pen. When i bought my mandrill they told me it was for turning Slimline Pen Kits that is why i was asking can you also tell me what size drill bits i need and what to look for when looking for the different bushes please. Sorry for being so thick but i would like to get it right the first time.
Thank you
Pete

Pete

the easiest thing to do is to choose the kits that you want to make, and just buy the bushes at the time- you will need a set of bushings for each type of pen that you want to turn. Pens can be pretty easy (but can be a very complex subject too), and are a nice item to make after you have mastered turning square sections to round. Slimlines are not a bad place to start because they are cheap. The other one that I would look at is some that use a single tube, because you dont then have any issues with grain matching.

The slimline bushings are slightly different, in that the bushing doesnt fit inside the tubes, like the other bushes would.

This supplier is very good and well priced. http://www.taylorsmirfield.co.uk/collec ... en-turning

if you get into it, then timberbits in australia is worth a look.

I should also say that the size of the brass tubes will dictate the drill size- add 0.1mm or so to each. I think it is worth waiting until you get the tubes and measure them. The ststed tube size can differ slightly, but if you are in a rush, they are usually correct. The slimline is 7mm drill bit though- I measured one last night, and the od of the tube was 6.85mm. Colt drill bits are worth the investment if you have several of a kit to make.

in general pen turning is an area of turning where 0.5mm can be the difference between a pen looking fantastic, and it looking dreadful. On drilling, you need to have a greater accuracy than that or you start to get problems with holes being too tight, or like a clowns pocket.

Pete, if you send me your address i will pop the madril in the post for you free. I already have one.

I got an email from Marcros from this group saying he has some notes on pen making that will be great if you can send me some notes on pen making it will help a lot. I have sent of for some brass tubes so i can practice first i sent of for a slimline set as well. When you send for different pen sets how do you know witch bushes to get or do they come with the pen sets if not were do i get them from sorry for being a pain.
Thank you
Pete

pete,

i will do you some notes, particularly what i have discovered as a beginner in the first 6 months of doing it.

when you buy a pen kit you need to buy the bushings for that kit- so slimline pen, slimline bushing, sierra pen, sierra bushings. They will come from the same place as the kit but not as part of the kit. rarely, one set of bushings will fit a different pen kit.

Mark

Hi i would like to thank the chap who sent me the mandrel i am sorry if i get your name wrong i think it was Marcros? I have turned 3 pens and i think the turned out ok i was going to put a picture on but i don't know how to. :D
Thank you
Pete

not me.

it was IHc1vtr+ I think.

Sounds like you are getting on ok.

pmitch53":3t0l909a said:
Can anyone tell me if i need more than 1 mandrill for all the different pens or do you just change the bushes
Thank you
Pete

I suggest you have a look on http://www.penturners.co.uk/ if your interest in pens develops. There are some very knowledgeable if slightly mad members who will always offer help and advice. (I'm not one of the mad ones btw :wink: )

Bob

Lons":2yihkszv said:
pmitch53":2yihkszv said:
Thank you
Pete

I suggest you have a look on http://www.penturners.co.uk/ if your interest in pens develops. There are some very knowledgeable if slightly mad members who will always offer help and advice. (I'm not one of the mad ones btw :wink: )

Bob

speak for yourself Bob :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dalboy":13oa1oc0 said:
Lons":13oa1oc0 said:
There are some very knowledgeable if slightly mad members who will always offer help and advice. (I'm not one of the mad ones btw :wink: )

Bob

speak for yourself Bob :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OOps, didn't I include you as one of the sane guys Derek? :lol:

Back