Acrylic lacquer problems.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honest John

Established Member
Reaction score
At the Harrogate show last year I bought several rattle cans of Mylands high gloss lacquer and have used them intermittently on several turnings with reasonable but not outstanding results. My daughter asked me recently for a pepper mill and I duly bought a couple of crush grind mechanisms from turners retreat. Christmas coming so thought I'd make a couple. My daughter was delighted with hers (not a Christmas present), turned in walnut and finished with a topcoat of acrylic lacquer to protect it. The second one I have made in a less interesting piece of wood that's been in my shop for many years, and I therefore decided to decorate it with some pyrography and airbrushed acrylic paint. Now here is my problem. I finished the item with a top coat of Mylands lacquer and set it aside to dry. A short while later it was evident that the lacquer had reacted with and removed some of the acrylic paint! Now I thought I would be safe using acrylic water based lacquer on top of acrylic paint? I have always thought it strange mind that the same water based lacquer stinks of acetone like cellulose products do, and for peace in the home I now have to spray it outside rather than use the extractor fan. ( My workshop is inside my house). Indeed my initial purchase of these water based products was to side step the grief I had been getting from using cellulose sanding sealer! Is there a seal coat or something I could use on top of my acrylic inks that could prevent this happening again? Thank you for reading this and for any replies that are made.

Back