Clarke bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating buying a small bandsaw - at the moment the purposes in mind are profiling maybe 40mm thick oak for wall-mounted shelf brackets and cutting tenons. I have a VAT-free voucher for Machine Mart and went in there today to look at the Clarke CBS300. The first drill press I bought was a Clarke ('professional') which was quite possibly the worst machine tool I have ever used - underpowered, rattly, out of true - and that put me off the brand. However, the CBS300 I looked at in the shop looked OKish - reasonably rigid fence which looks to be adjustable for squareness, flat table.... though I'm skeptical about the claim implicit on the tensioning indicator that it'll take a 19mm blade. Looks too weedy to me!
Anyone out there had experience of these machines? Are they fit for purpose or am I just making trouble for myself given that this would be my first wood bandsaw?

Robin

I (for my sins) have the CBS250 which, at 370 watts, is seriously underpowered, even with a Tuffsaws blade and a good setup it struggles to rip or resaw anything greater than around 70mm. The CBS300 is rated at 750W, I suspect it too will be under powered unless you are only planning to use it for plywood.

OK, thanks, that squares with my experience of the drill press, which on paper should have had enough power but in practice was woefully inadequate. I had hoped that as the motor rating was the same as the more reputable Record BS300 it might work. I suspect that there's some marketing goes on with motor power - what matters is the output power of course, but doubtless some motors are more efficient than others. I'll give it a miss then.
Robin

Latest posts

Back