Fire Escape Stairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

Although not a workshop, seems to be the right place to put this question, (Mods, Please move if incorrectly placed).

Background;
My kids' judo club want to use a mezzanine floor as a mini-gym for approx 8 people at a time. The building is a purpose-built affair that is broadly an industrial unit 'warehouse' based in an industrial/commercial area, so no residential neighbours, though their is a friendly social club next door.

Questions:
A) Do we need to install fire escape stairs?
B) Do we need planning permission for the above if they are external?

Many thanks in advance

Greg

Best to ask your local authority or ask if the insurer's require them .

Thank you gents.

It looks like fire escape stairs are probably a requirement, and if not, would be a very wise precaution.

And if we can't get them internally, permission probably is needed if they effect the outside form of the building. DAMN!

I'd wanted to avoid contacting the LA until pretty certain, as in my experiece, planners do love an over-keen 'nose' around everything you even thought of doing, even if you decided against it - a bit of guilty til proven and 'the answer is no, now what was the question' mentality.

Thanks again for your replies. Any other comments welcome.

Greg

gregmcateer":vvo763r4 said:
Thank you gents.

It looks like fire escape stairs are probably a requirement, and if not, would be a very wise precaution.

And if we can't get them internally, permission probably is needed if they effect the outside form of the building. DAMN!

I'd wanted to avoid contacting the LA until pretty certain, as in my experiece, planners do love an over-keen 'nose' around everything you even thought of doing, even if you decided against it - a bit of guilty til proven and 'the answer is no, now what was the question' mentality.

Thanks again for your replies. Any other comments welcome.

Greg
We get a lot of that superior attitude Here in Sunny Devon too!
Research is the order of the day, and lots of it!
Regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back