What machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBoyle

Reaction score
After cutting timber down on a table saw what is the best and quickest tool or machine to remove the sharp edge?

Would it be a router in a table or some sort of sander? TImber can be 2M long and at the moment in use a hand sander.

i would use a hand plan, and give it a quick swipe. a small hand held router/laminate trimmer with a rounder would be my choice if there was a reasonable quantity, or if it was a regular task. For the latter, I would go for the Makita RT0700C

are you looking to just remove the arris or to radius the edge?

By sharp edge, If you mean literally the edge or arris, then a router cutter would round over either 1, or both edges.
You ought to use an electric planer to clean and smooth just the edge first, this would be quickest, either a hand held, or a bench type planer, instead of a dusty sander, and then a pass with the round over.
A router table could be a good idea, a well guarded model, with the "finger"pressure pads in place could do this quite quickly and safely.
HTH Regards Rodders

The small scale industrial way would be a full size spindle moulder set up with a double roundover bit to round two edges at once plus a feedwork to feed the wood though.
This would be a suitable setup for mathes between a few hundred and up to many thousand metres. For smaller batches a single roundover bit would be enough doing one edge at a time.

Just run a sharp block plane along the edge set to take a thin shaving and that should do it. it will only need one pass. will be a lot quicker than using a router or sander and cleaner

Thanks for the advice, so doing it by hand would be faster and easier than using a router on a table?
If i wanted to use a router, what is a good table?

Don't need anything fancy just something to hold the timber in place.

MrBoyle":27u9wbti said:
Thanks for the advice, so doing it by hand would be faster and easier than using a router on a table? .

Yes, I agree with Droogs. Pick up the plane, one or two passes, done. Doesn't have to be a block plane, a no. 4 or 5 will also work fine. A block plane might be more convenient though.

2m long? Put it in a vice, run a block plane along it and job done. I could probably complete that task quicker than you read this sentence.

I had ago with a plane and yes works fine and was quick, thanks for the advice as its saved me a lot of money.
Just need to create a bench for it.

Back