Workshop build - Structural engineer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy rivers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

We are still at the preliminary stage of our build. We have had planning approved and are now at the stage of having our architects spec and design approved by Buildings Control. The BC officer has decided that the architect's (technician) drawings need to be approved by an insurance backed structural engineer. Due to the buildings proximity to the boundary (300mm) and the overall height (4m to ridge). The build is a 7x7m timber frame, cedar clad design, (pictures below). The architect has also supplied written supporting details to include the section sizes, materials covering etc.

Is this is all pretty standard?

Having what should be a straight forward project redrawn by a structural engineer at £500 (quote from architect's contact) feels like I'm paying for something to be done twice. I should probably get some 3rd party quotes... :?

Thoughts on this much appreciated.

Cheers Jim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 09.26.31.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 09.26.31.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,742
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 09.27.14.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 09.27.14.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,742
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 09.27.38.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 09.27.38.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,742
I suppose the straightforward aspect of the project is undermined by the proximity to the boundary and the flammable nature of the build. Though I'd question the basis of the architects build details unless they've got some sort of insurance backed qualification..... But ultimately - if you want to build that big, with those materials, that close to the boundary, you've got little choice but to jump through BC's hoops.

I've recently gone through the planning process with architects and structural engineers all involved...
I paid £350 for structural drawings for all the trusses for my barn conversion so £500 for him to sign off your architects drawings does seem in the right ball park may be a little high. I would always shop around and get your own quote not just go with the architects recommendation.

We recently paid just over £500 for some structural drawing for some steel beams in a structural wall we are opening up and for roof truss strengthening for insertion of large velux window. I thought it was a little steep at the time but is seems like the going rate and keeps the BCO happy!

Good luck.

Dee J":3628z7rm said:
I suppose the straightforward aspect of the project is undermined by the proximity to the boundary and the flammable nature of the build.

Spot on there Dee J. The BCO also wants the cladding to be backed by fire rated sheathing and a fire retardant coating applied to the cladding (just to the adjoining sides).

I'll get a couple more quotes, but it's sounding from you all like the price isn't too far off the mark.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi,

A fire resistant product called Cempanel can be had in 8x4 size(maybe metric 2440x1220 instead) and can be applied onto wooden frame. Tyvek can be used under it.

Its not the most attractive but could be painted with Snowcem. Joints need to be grouted or taped prior to painting.

You could try an independent building control company, they might have a different view on things.

But really going through all the extra effort of fire proofing, it might have been worth moving it out from the boundary by an extra 700mm.

Back