Measure for new window

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Another question for the day.

I need to replace a window, it's a rotten single glazed timber affair. The replacement will be upvc (yeah yeah boo hiss).

Question is where's best to take the measurements from to give to the suppliers? Outside has been rendered/pebbledashed - inside has plaster to stuff knows what thickness. The house is 1890 small terraced and I would imagine when built would of had sliding sash windows (?).

Am I doomed to hack off plaster to determine the frame size?

Any help would be nice.

As you're no doubt aware, you can never be sure what the plaster is hiding! or what size window opening may be!
I seem to be pretty good at guestimating replacement window sizes, based on how big the window ought to be
using the likely finished stile thickness or width as a guide.
Normally, the replacement window will need to be from the inside if possible, easier to use cover strips "tosh in"
As external fix would need scaffold and better weather, etc, etc.
So I would open up a small area, each side and measure, you could patch up for the waiting time.
If you're using a local company, get their surveyor to check you're conclusions.
Regards Rodders

It might also be worth checking there's a solid lintel or arch above the window, just in case whatever's in there at the moment is holding up that bit of wall.

Thanks all. Looks like I need to dug into the plaster and have a look. Having just priced up the window it's going to have to wait till after Xmas.

Re lintels. I'm sure there's one there but knowing this house it's broken.

Cheers!

Always measure inside and outside, you can never tell whether the wall is stepped.

If there are other windows oft he same design in the house, you could see what the frame thickness is and work out the window size by adding the frame thickness to the rebate size.

Sometimes it is possible to make the window a bit smaller to avoid hacking off the plaster / render - something that is a good idea on tile hung elevations.

Of course dont assume the existing window is the correct size anyway!

Back