Vulcan - Southport Air Show this weekend 19-20 Sept 2015

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got bored of going some years ago and was planning on going to see this... Sadly kids and birthdays always pop up... Shall be keeping my fingers crossed for a miracle

Well unless they've fixed the leaking fuel tanks from last weekend it wont happen at Southport.... the same as it didn't happen at Old Sarum Airfield last weekend....

Well chaps...we're finally coming to the end for this fabulous aircraft.

I'm off to Gaydon on Oct 4th as that day it has two displays (the other at Old Sarum) and that's it other than the final flypast. My gut feel is that the final flypast is going to be one very long flight around the country...we might get the Vulcan Howl but probably not a 'real' display as I've seen at Throckmorton, Yeovilton and Fairford this year.

So get there if you can.....

I had a miracle happen and was able to go see.

Took the long drive around to avoid traffic and park nearby then headed off on the bikes with what kids I had to mind... Just made it in time.

Was great to see it but the ending was a little disappointing... The time table showed the red arrows was doing their display next so It would of been nice to see it fly off with them as it did when it came in.

8squared":325do9e1 said:
... The time table showed the red arrows was doing their display next so It would of been nice to see it fly off with them as it did when it came in.

In my experience, show organisers like to keep the momentum going between displays. The Red Arrows and the Vulcan would have formated well away from Southport and then approached as a unit. This takes a fair bit of time but doesn't matter because immediately before the Red Arrows/Vulcan flypast there would have been another display just ending and so a very small delay between the two events.

To achieve what you are asking would destroy the momentum, I think, because there would be a long delay while the Red Arrows/Vulcan formated again, then flew in to repeat something that they have already done then yet another delay while the Red Arrows oriented themselves for their display. Instead what you had, and IMO a much more dynamic display, was the Red Arrows flying in, almost immediately after the Vulcan had performed its last climb and departed, to start their own display.

RogerS":2m9h27wq said:
Well chaps...we're finally coming to the end for this fabulous aircraft.

I'm off to Gaydon on Oct 4th as that day it has two displays (the other at Old Sarum) and that's it other than the final flypast. My gut feel is that the final flypast is going to be one very long flight around the country...we might get the Vulcan Howl but probably not a 'real' display as I've seen at Throckmorton, Yeovilton and Fairford this year.

So get there if you can.....

Not forgetting The Shuttleworth Show, had to go for this as Gaydon had sold out :roll:
http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/uncovered/
A worthy place to visit 8) 8)

Andy

Be warned that the Vulcan display has now been emasculated. Southport was the very last 'proper' full on display as it was over the sea.

When the Shoreham accident happened and the CAA had their (some say knee-jerk) reaction and imposed the blanket ban on aerobatics by vintage aircraft over land, the Vulcan to the sky website announced that, because the Vulcan was never certified to do any aerobatics then its display was unaffected.

However, my understanding is that the CAA ordered the Vulcan display to be toned down aka emasculated. Unfortunately that little titbit never made its way into the Vulcan newsletters until yesterday by which time most people will have bought their non-refundable tickets for the two remaining displays. Read into that what you may. Personally I think that that was a bit sneaky and disingenuous. If I'd known about the changes to the display then I'd never have shelled out for the ticket to Gaydon which is not an insignificant amount. I think the phrase is 'hacked off'.

Of course if you've never seen it fly before then the above will be of little consequence.

I had tickets for the second day of Shoreham. When that didn't happen I got tickets for Old Sarum. Spent the day there, (most of it hungry due to complete failure/incompetence on the catering front) and then it didn't turn up. Can't make it to any of the remaining dates, so that's it for me. Seen it 6 or 7 times in the past few years fortunately.

pcb1962":34e10xqq said:
I had tickets for the second day of Shoreham. When that didn't happen I got tickets for Old Sarum. Spent the day there, (most of it hungry due to complete failure/incompetence on the catering front) and then it didn't turn up. Can't make it to any of the remaining dates, so that's it for me. Seen it 6 or 7 times in the past few years fortunately.

Yes, unfortunately it went 'technical'.

Great shots, Pete, and glad that you saw her. I was at Staverton today and rather sad to see her fly past on what is her final season. Bloody bean counters at BAe Systems, Marshalls et al.

I saw her today at Filton Airfield, came in nice and slow - over the runway - a wing waggle and off she went towards Cardiff, a real sight and I'll admit I had a bit of a lump in my throat. There were hundreds of people lining the road next to the airfield, the road users must have thought the Queen was coming!

I decided to go up to the Downs on Sunday in the hope that she repeated the flypast of Concorde over the Clifton Suspension Bridge all those years ago. There were only about half a dozen of us gathered, all looking down the Avon Gorge towards the bridge. Regrettably, although she did fly from Bristol Airport towards the bridge she was quite high and turned south. All in all, she did about 3 circuits but always seemed to be more over South Bristol before heading out over the city centre towards Filton.

Still I did at least get to see her although I was grateful I took my binoculars.

Hi Student - here's a pic you might like:

vulcan over Suspension Bridge.jpg

Attachments

• vulcan over Suspension Bridge.jpg
    vulcan over Suspension Bridge.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 674
In case you missed it here's some police helicopter video of Vulcan XH558 on 10th October.

NPAS Barton":2kw6xhjn said:
Vulcan XH558 passing NPAS Barton 10/10/15
We were deployed from Barton Manchester to attend an incident in Preston Lancs 10/10/2015. As we flew north we passed @XH558 travelling south towards Manchester on it's Final Flight (Northern Tour). Video taken from some distance away but sad to see it for the last time.

Must have made an interesting change to their usual routine!

Back