Underfloor heating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a cheap, efficient electric under tile heating product? I've got to consider one, but can't afford to overspend, having overspent on other things. About 12sq. metres.
Any advice on fitting?
The floor is '70s, good but undoubtedly uninsulated - is it worthwhile?

Phil

If it's on the ground floor, don't bother unless it's insulated, (unless you feel you'd like to have warm earthworms).

If it's on FF, you'll just los a bit of the heat to the ceiling below. No great drama if you own the room below. It'll take the edge of chilly tiles.

Not sure of current, (scuse the pun), products, but someone here will have done one recently!

HTH

Greg

Heating 12sqm of uninsulated floor would be costly - personally I wouldn't do it.

the UFH could easily draw 1.5kW of power. Back losses into the ground are normally limited to about 10% with insulation but without insulation they could be up to 50%.

JImmy

I have electric - ground floor tiled kitchen. I haven't worked out the cost but it takes 20- 30 mins before you feel the heat, but then it's nice. It's a wickes system (in the house before I moved in)

My father in law has under floor heating plumbed into the central heating, which I find better. Again, ground floor. It's cheaper than electric....

Sorry I don't know any specifics on brands etc

This would have to be electric, but I've been talked out of it already. No one as yet that I spoken to has much to say for it in my circumstance. One downside is the anything that's easy to put on swmbo will leave on in perpetuity.

without under insulation, dont go any where near it. If you can put proper insulation in, its a fairly good system, but it needs to be controlled by a thermostat AND timer so it isnt forgotten when going to bed.
My friend has a conservatory with it fitted, he laid it in two sections, with individual thermostats and timers. its really nice to sit out there during the winter, looking at the outside cold.

If it's a concrete floor, what about digging it out?

Recommended is 100mm underfloor insulation. 25-50mm concrete, heat mats then self level or tile over.

You could do less by using 75 or 50mm insulation. Either way it will be a vast improvement over no insulation.

You can also get thin insulation to go between concrete and the heat mats (cheap too) . Supposed to reduce warm up time by up to 70%.

Latest posts

Back