Bosch POF Routers- Any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitefive

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a router , seems like there aren't any real cheap ones under 40quid, so might as well get the green bosch.
Specially looking at the POF 1200 as its the cheapest at ~70
Maybe anyone has had one and can comment how good they are? and what is the difference between pof 1200 and 1400 , the extra 200wats?
Looking 5o get it to cut mortice holes up to 4-5cm deep in worst case...

I've not used the green bosch range but the erbauer ones at screwfix are worth a look.

I did look at erbauer as well, but the price is almost the same for erbauer/bosch one, and the bosch one looks a bit better at least from the pictures.

As Phil p says you ought to be looking at a 1/2" router if you intend doing a lot of 2"morticing, the 1/4"cutters will need to be the extended ones and also will be quite a strain on a 1/4" shaft, in frequent use.
The question you need to answer is how often will you be morticing 2" deep?
I suggest you get a Starter item, like the Bosch pof 50, almost the same as a Trend t4, what I would call a "one handed router", Cheap to buy, So easy to use, A very handy sized model that always seems to have a use in the workshop, and cheap throw away cutters in abundance.
Regards Rodders

phil.p":gfopx4u3 said:
If you wish to cut 2" mortices, you really need a 1/2" router. 1/4" is pushing it. (IMO :) ,of course)
Im ok with spending more time per cut, can't you just go over the same mortice hole several times and take out the material in smaller chunks?

Im not sure I want to spend any money for super cheap used stuff like someone suggested Bosch pof 50 when I can pay extra 30quid and get a new Unit, the Bosch pof1200 for example.

Taking small cuts obviously is sensible but there is still a strain as the unit will be working at it's capacity.
I have had a cutter snap whilst working on a flight of stairs once, luckily, no one else was in the area, nasty bit of shrapnel!
Don't knock the pof 50, there are still examples to be found, as new and unwanted presents on fleabay
I've just replaced my old one!
As you say value for money, it's the pof 1200 to go for, if the triton t4 doesn't ring yer bell.
Try and look out for the special promo offer, sometimes including cutters in the box.
Post a pic when you get the Bosch pof 1200.
Regards Rodders

Alright just bought off fleabay (says barely used) erbauer, a bit older model than the screwfix one for 40quid shipped.
1/2inch and 2100w should be hopefully enough

will do
model no. ERB 210C
Seems a bit older model than the one from screwfix but seems like the same thing.

That's the one I have. Admittedly I've never used a high end makita or bosch one, but it feels pretty good to me. I was particularly impressed with the circle cutting function on the fence.

sitefive":mpo3e8jf said:
will do
model no. ERB 210C
Seems a bit older model than the one from screwfix but seems like the same thing.

I've got one mounted in a router table.
Works well, plenty of power and plunges smoothly.
Does exactly what it's expected to do.

Just received the erbauer router, and its superb solid, feels huuuuuuuuuge at start and damn heavy but you get used to it after few tries.
Tried cutting 5cm mortice holes in 1 go, didnt struggle at all.
Don't think could have bought a better unit for 40quid shipped.

Well done! Don't forget to check the collets and threads to ensure safe cutter retention.
You may want some "upcut" bits especially if you have an extractor pipe, 1/4" are much cheaper than the 1/2".
As well as ejecting waste, this also helps lessen burning on end grain.
I haven't got any yet as I'm still using the last 2 trend boxes I bought on "special" some time ago.
Now you have a solid model, you may think later of one of the smaller and lighter models, will also be useful, safer on edge work etc.
If you are collecting for a project, don't forger the WIP are always well received.
Regards Rodders

Back