Timber choices for a Moxon Vice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems that generally, Hard Maple is specified for the jaws of a Moxon vice. I have some 4 x 4 Maple, which could be milled and jointed to 6 x 2 (Approx), but I don't want to joint along the centre of the jaws, and introduce a possible weakness.

I have some Southern Yellow Pine boards of 2" thickness that would be just right, and no reason not to use it. So instead of buying Maple, or some other hardwood, (Ash would be nice) what do you think about SYP for a Moxon Vice?

BTW, I agonised, and did my 'sums', for all of a minute, and then bought the Benchcrafted hardware. Thus, I am keen not to pay through the proboscis for a special order of hardwood.

Also, I was aware I could have saved a lot more cash, by making suitable hardware with bought-in hand wheels, and some all-thread. Unfortunately, I'm not a metal worker; I'd probably have messed up the job of threading a hand wheel!

Any suggestions or opinions on timber, and/or the choice of SYP?

TIA

John

given that you often add a piece of suede to the face of the vice jaws to improve grip, I think that SYP would be fine- the fact that it is a little softer than hard maple shouldnt matter IMHO.

I expect that hard maple is mentioned mostly by US makers as it is more commonly available over their way.

Mine (made by Condeesteeso) is in ash, which is lovely but I am sure your suitably sized piece of SYP will be fine - the pressure is widely distributed across a big surface so I don't think there would be any undue crushing of the wood in use. (But better to damage the vice than the work!)

I agree with marcros. I made a Benchcrafted Moxon vice out of Maple, and it weighs a ton! If I was making it again I'd use Poplar or Pine. In fact the weight of the thing might be one reason why, since making it three or so years ago, I've probably used it...oooh...about twice! I was visiting another maker's workshop recently and noticed those familiar grey wheels poking out from underneath his bench, it transpired he'd made one a few years ago, but he's never used his at all! I keep thinking I'll break it down and incorporate the hardware into a new bench build, but as long as I've a backlog of furniture orders I just never get around to it.

I'm normally pretty good at avoiding all the woody gimmicks but this time I slipped up, hope you make more use of yours!

Thanks folks.

I did think about hardwood faces inside the jaws. Also, if necessary, a joint along the hardwood faces wouldn't make much difference to the strength, there being a backing of one piece of SYP. But on reflection, I think the SYP will be fine.

The main reason I am making this is to gain a few inches height on top of the bench. Much easier on the back. There are probably other solutions, but the vice is a neat way to avoid faffing around with blocks under the bench etc! Plus it's the best answer for dovetailing wide panels. Well that's my excuse, and I am staying with it! :D

Oh, and of course, I can use the vice clamped to virtually any surface I choose, so it travels well!

Thanks again for the interest.

John

Have you thought of building a small bench area behind the rear jaw then rather than it being just a vice it is a small high level bench and vice. you can then make the rear jaw from ply and the screw thread can be lost under the bench. Fine Woodworking did one but then just put a record vice on the end. It seemed a missed opportunity to me.

Benchwayze":cvbjf1db said:
The main reason I am making this is to gain a few inches height on top of the bench.

Good point. My bench is pretty high and by the time the Moxon's on top I'm on tip toes

:D

Hey come on Custard! It's me ol' back I'm doing this for. Bending over, cutting dovetails I love, but the pain I can do without! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I might well make a mini bench to sit behind the vice, at PAC's suggest. I already planned for a dovetailing transfer support, instead of using a plane on its side. Got the idea from Derek, in Perth...

I also found a plank of 12 x 2" cherry lurking in my diminishing stock pile. My Lady keeps telling me to 'downsize' my hobby, and get rid of the timber, but using that for vice-jaws seems such a waste to me! I know! I'll buy another plank, maybe a few cube, just to make up the order! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

John

Any wood would be suitable, and preferably I would have thought a softwood rather than a hard wood. Most softwoods are more stable dimensionally than hardwoods and are cheap / easily replaced. Equally your less likely to crush what ever your holding if you become a little vigorous with the and wheels. 18mm ply or MDF makes a good set of jaws!

I made mine as a small bench which seemed more useful. I used Beech. I think Poplar or Pine maybe too soft. Geoff

Attachments

• lrw_4828.jpg
    lrw_4828.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 46
Back