restoring a spirit level

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I bought an adjustable spirit level, made by glass developments, just because I liked it.
Now I want to restore it to something like it should be, but have never done this sort of thing before.
Pics show what I'm up against, any suggestions on how to remove stain on the wood?
cleaning the level bubbles, and general improvements?
IMG_1416_zps8tucon4m.jpg

IMG_1417_zpsjipolkel.jpg

IMG_1418_zpsfwjdvjn8.jpg

IMG_1419_zpsnr0amis1.jpg

That looks like Shellac.

Try meths on a pad of old linen (e.g. worn out white sheet). If it obviously picks up the colour, you might go to fine wire wool (000 or 0000 if you have the latter), to get off stubborn bits. Obviously, go with the grain. You can use Nitromors-type stripper on the brass parts, and a suede shoe brush (brass bristles) to get into the fine detail. Be careful not to over-polish the brass later on - it's tempting but you can easily lose detail.

Meths has the advantages of not raising the wood grain, and leaving almost no residue. You might try toothpaste on the bubble assembly, ideally with an electric toothbrush head. It's a very gentle abrasive, and shouldn't harm glass (IF you're gentle!), but the brush will get into crevices. Again, it shouldn't do any damage. I think the vials were held in with either putty or plaster of Paris (because it sets fast), the latter being a bit easy to damage. As long as you don't break the seal on the vial you should be able to relocate it if it does come loose, but I'd try not to disturb it.

If it's for use afterwards, I'd clean the machine screw threads up and use a drop of Loctite when you adjust it. The wear on the fulcrum looks like the adjustment is actually pivoting on the vial, rather than the metal frame. I'd check that - if so, it will be quite fragile*, so be careful not to overtighten the adjuster screws when you reassemble/align it.

Nice looking boat level. Should come up a treat.

E.

*It's not just the pressure. Over time, the fulcrum may well have scratched the glass, making a weak point in the same way we score glass with a diamond to cut it. It may be more fragile than it appears. If I've misunderstood what I can see, and it's actually bearing on the metal frame, it should be fine.

Thanks Erik.
I dont have meths but do have paint thinners. I take it thats no good?

I was surprised at the bow in the brass top. would that have been made that way? or someone has been fiddling in the past?

In restoring any old tool, a good rule is to start simple. So you may just need a damp rag to remove surface dirt. (E-cloths are good but an old towel is too.)
For more stubborn dirt you can add a little soapy water.
Try to hold off from using abrasives if you can, unless you really want an old tool to look like a new tool.

Have a read through the sticky at the top of this section for more detail and pictures on restoration.

Your pictures show how level bubbles were set in plaster. I hope yours goes back straight! I would have left it in place but that's not very helpful advice now...
Tool Bazaar in Scotland sell replacement bubbles if you need one!

The bubble are still in their cradles. All I've done so far is undo screws.

I'm not a purist on this sort of thing, but there was so much dirt around the bubbles they couldnt be read.
The shellac? is reasonable, if I can get most of the dirt off with soapy water, that might do me. It was £8, no point spending £20 on restoring it as I just want to be able to use it.

Andy is being diplomatic: I wasn't reading your original post carefully enough.

Meths will dissolve the wood finish -- I had assumed you wanted to re-finish it. Soap and water, used sparingly, will clean it up.

You might still find the toothpaste thing will help with the metal components, but go easy.

I'm keeping my options open so far (g)

i'm not one to spend a month and a £100 to restore something that could be replaced for a tenner.
Some folk call me unsentimental. (lol)

Definitely a job for the old towel and some soapy water then!

sunnybob":2ct8z2ag said:
tomorrows job.
Got to get my bench clear.

Me too. :mrgreen:

Until I do, there's no point starting on my Moxon Vice! The MFT won't cut it for planing!

Just checked British Hardwoods for some Ash.. Great, except I don't need 20 metres! :(

well, the bubbles have cleaned up quite well with just water and a washing up brush. looks like the thing has been swamped with metal polish and it just collected under the brass top.
Are the bubble lines inside or outside the glass? scared to scrub just in case they disappear.
the wood has a lot of minor scratches, cant decide yet whether to strip and re coat, or just leave well alone.

The lines are outside so you are right to be careful.
I've not tried this, but I expect you could re-mark them. Either black paint and a very fine brush or a fine point all-surface marker pen.

I've just taken the plunge and wiped the wood over with thinners. the result is very good. Apart from a couple of nicks that I cant repair, it looks almost new. i shant do any more to this now. I've put it back together and it looks really nice on the shelf.

Back