Lathe Add on

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this should go in general or turning so apologies if I get it wrong.

I bought a the a little while ago and I found that two things were annoying me.

Firstly that I didn't have anywhere to put the gouges etc.

Secondly that I had to keep walking to the other end of my workshop to my grinder to sharpen.

So tonight I spent an hour and solved both problems with one solution - although you might think I'm mad!

In simple terms I bolted a bit of MDF (made it oversized deliberately) onto the end of the lathe and mounted the grinder on that. I also cut holes in it so that my chisels etc had a home.

Obviously it shortens the length of my bed but I've not used it so far so shouldn't be an issue and if it is I'll just unbolt it.

I'll try and post a photo or two then it's daylight.

Hope you don't think I'm too mad!

what ever makes life easy that's my rule and it may give another woodturner the same idea
plus we must be all Mad sometime in our lives ! :shock:

Take care with errant sparks on the shavings and grinding wheel grit on your lathe moving parts.

Well as you say no pictures it didn't happen. So here:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440789240.796368.jpg

It's quite a way from the head stock so I'm not worried about moving parts on the lathe. Shavings and Sparks is more of a concern, but I'm working on a low tech shavings solution!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440789240.796368.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440789240.796368.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 54
I like it

It's our hobby - we can set things up just how we like and I'm a big fan of not having to walk backwards and forwards across your shed / shop.

Martin

Back