Cheapest Induction Motor 10inch Planer/Thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitefive

Established Member
Reaction score
Totally have no idea what i need to look for the only things so far I have realized what i need are:
-induction motor, which the super-cheap ones doesn't have
-one that can do 25cm (10inch) wide stuff
-isn't that heavy and doesnt takes lots of space as space for me at the moment is super-premium, however I want to future-proof a bit so I dont want to buy cheap and buy twice.

I have found record power pt260/metabo hc260 which seems the perfect size and capacity.
I would be looking more at 2nd hand unit as I probably have budget of around ~300-400 If I can find some very good deal, I know I can get the hc260/pt260 stuff cheaper than that but maybe there is something better than those for not much more? Or maybe there are some cheaper planers than those hc260/pt260 as well?

I have seen some old planer/thicknessers which goes for cheap yet provides decent value, but usually they are super large/heavy so that's a no-no :(

If anyone can give me some exact model names which fits this that would be great!

btw if there is some cheap 8inch planer/thicknesser with induction motor and doesn't costs much new that would also be maybe good.

Second-hand planers that fit your bill are the DeWalt DW1150/1151 (I think this became the Elektra-Beckum HC260) and Scheppach HMS260. I have the latter which I picked up on this forum for approx. half the price of a new machine. If you are not in a rush, I would recommend you go down this route. With induction motors which last a lifetime, if it runs and is in physically good condition then there is little to recommend buying a new machine in my opinion.

I paid 400 for my Startrite pt260, which is a step up from the record/metabo model in power and rigidity.

The vast majority of the hobbyists I've met run their P/T with blunt knives because they can't be bothered with a knife change. Consequently the machine isn't very accurate (the workpiece tends to "bounce" along the planer tables), it's not very safe (you need a lot of pressure to hold the work piece down against the blunt knives and stop it "fluttering, plus you need a lot of pressure to move the workpiece forward into the cut), and tear out is a constant problem.

Unless you are more disciplined and organised than the average you should only get a P/T that offers quick, simple, and accurate blade changes, because a P/T with blunt knives is just an expensive shelf to store rubbish on.

Good luck.

pcb1962":1t6sz7u5 said:
I paid 400 for my Startrite pt260, which is a step up from the record/metabo model in power and rigidity.
that looks way too rigid for me , plus its a 3phase ,need something that isnt that heavy as that one ,which can be still moved around as i don't have a proper workshop,not even a garage...

siggy_7":2cicx9ld said:
Second-hand planers that fit your bill are the DeWalt DW1150/1151 (I think this became the Elektra-Beckum HC260) and Scheppach HMS260. I have the latter which I picked up on this forum for approx. half the price of a new machine. If you are not in a rush, I would recommend you go down this route. With induction motors which last a lifetime, if it runs and is in physically good condition then there is little to recommend buying a new machine in my opinion.
do all of these ''260'' ones from dewalt/elektra/metabo/scheppach have induction motor? I sent few messages on ebay to few people selling these and all of them replied that they think they have brush motor!!! maybe only the ones produced in past few years have the induction motor?

All the PT260 machines I've seen have been induction motored. Never seen a brush motored one. I would suggest the people you asked didn't really know what they were selling hence the "think" in their reply. Anyone who knew about machinery would know for sure.

I bought a second-hand hc260 a short while ago that dates from 2011 - and that has an induction motor, Metabo were certainly still using them that recently. I'm very happy with it - and since Custard noted it, it does have locating lugs for the blades and worm screws to set, so theoretically if you keep using the disposable blades it should be easy to replace them. Of course, the chap I bought mine from had been sharpening them so I had to spend ages adjusting anyway!

Back