SIP Heavy Duty 14" v Record Power BS350S 14" Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sundance

Reaction score
Hi

Torn between these two models..

SIP has more power and slightly greater depth of cut, but only 1 year warranty as opposed to 5 years with the Record Power.

Want a band saw for doing veneers in hardwood up to a depth of 7 1/2 inches..

grateful for any views....

Well they're basically the same Asian machine with different paint jobs and minor changes. I have other machinery (not bandsaws) from both suppliers and no problems with any of it. If prices are the same or very close I think the 5 year warranty would sway me towards the Record.

Whichever you get change the blade for one from Tuffsaws.

Although the machines are put together abroad, it is my understanding that Record do closly monitor the machines as they have to guarantee them for 5 years and it would be costly if they were breaking don constantly. I have the Record BS400 and from the outset, Record have been quick to respond to any queries. Following delivery, the machine would not balance with the whel ki and they had someone come out to m within a few days and correct the minor error. I have also bought REcord P/T and believe that the longer guarantee is worth consideration.

For what you wasdnt to do the BS350 S should do you well, but mke sure you get Tuffsaw blades to make it Purrrrrrrr.

Alex

I have the sip and happy with it
only issue that had from new was the nvr switch
very touchy and should have had it replaced
have to wiggle connections every now and then..not a big issue and not a major job to fix tbh
I am just lazy

Steve

Or just save yourself some money and worries by picking up a secondhand startrite 352. My one is well over 30 years old and would put just about anything new coming out of China/Taiwan in the shade. A seriously sweet bit of kit.

Hello,

Deep cutting up to the machines maximum is more of a theoretical possibility, or a once every blue moon expectation. If you really need a machine to accurately cut veneers at the depth you state, I think you should look for a bigger machine. If budget is an issue, a good used industrial machine is a better bet.

Mike.

Thanks for the replies..

I find the choice a little confusing..

For example I looked at a Startrite 351 which had a 300mm depth of cut but with a 1 hp motor. Unfortunately I was pipped for that on ebay.

The SIP has twice the HP but it seems Mike feels this is underpowered perhaps?? If it is underpowered at 2hp then how come a Startrite with a 1 hp motor has a depth under the guides of 300mm? The SIP has 235mm...and is marketed as an industrial machine. Confusing..!

As an aside I've had repeated disappointments with Axminster machines and resolve to never to use them again..

Startrites are industrial machines. They will operate more closely to their stated max specs and do so all day long with no problems. As woodbrains stated above the limits of hobby machines are mainly theoretical. Not sure how they get away with it to be honest.

Hello,

It is not just power, in fact this is less of an issue as solidity of the machine. Don't forget, horsepower can be utilised differently. Slower blade speed and feed rate will give more power to the cut than a faster blade speed. Heavy iron wheels will have a lot more momentum and can be tensioned higher, than light cast alloy wheels. I doubt very much the SIP bandsaw is a genuine 2 HP either, motors of that size are very much larger than a stand mount saw can accommodate. Light duty blade guides and guideposts limit the cutting capacities more than anything and a flimsy fence when presented with a heavy chunk of wood cause mayhem. Tensioning the blades on these light saws can be an issue, too. Many will not be strong enough to withstand the tension on the blade that is stated as a max width. I would use a blade no wider than about 2/3 the stated max on saws of this type. That is not to say they won't saw veneers, they will, but need to be used with caution to the capacity that is expected. Even blade wear is exaggerated on saws as these, as the blade is so much shorter, the teeth need to do so much more work for the same cut thickness that a larger saw makes. Heat buildup removes saw set and dulls blades quicker which in turn puts more strain on the saws motor etc. These Record saws are good value for money, but need to be used well within their capacities to perform accurately and have a long life.

Mike.

Back