Length-ways bevel cut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluepowerade

Reaction score
Hi there, I am wondering if anyone has advice on how i would go about cutting a 45 degree angled bevel on an edge of a 12mm thick x 32mm wide x 150mm long piece of wood. Thanks.

EDIT: I am without a table saw and jigsaws tilt does not reach 45mm.

I would stick it through the router table with a bearing guided 45 degree cutter. You could also use a tablesaw, but the angle is harder to get exactly 45. Same with a bandsaw. Depends what tools have you got?

At 150mm long for a one-off I would just scribe a line 12mm in from the one edge and take it down with a hand plane, using the scribed line as a guide, just a couple of minutes work.

Mark it, hack off most of the waste with an axe or draw knife or a chisel and plane to the line.

Pete

A nice, well sharpened hand plane would be best for you're job, I would say and some decent straight grained timber.
Mark the bevel side with a marking gauge,and plane down to the line, How many do you need?
Regards Rodders

Steve Maskery":shdizz6d said:
This is the perfect job for a bevel shooting board.
+1 ....
Only you might need to make one: Which means you could need a bevel-edged shooting board to work the latitudinal (big word!) 45 degree edge on the board! :lol:
Rather like needing a workbench to make a workbench!

You can buy triangular section moulding of course, which might be all that's required. :?

HTH
John

The thing I like about this forum is that someone will come up with a truly innovative way of doing things. However on this occasion we seem to be losing the plot big time. The OP asked how to put a bevel on the edge of a piece of wood 6 inches long. We have had several machine suggestions that are frankly dangerous with such a short length of wood. We also have a suggestion to make a shooting board. Why on this occasion are we making a one minute job with a hand plane so difficult?

If the piece I wanted to bevel was too short for safe machining, (and I really wanted to machine) then I would run a safer, longer piece through the saw/router, and cut off what's needed. That occurs to me because I have 'done it before'.

I also don't forget the 'terror' a novice might feel when contemplating a 45 degree planing job; especially as said novice might also have problems sharpening tools. Isn't this why the OP asked in the first place? He clearly wants a method that will ensure an accurate job without hassle.

I hope he gets some kind of an answer. :wink:

I didn't 'suggest' he make a shooting board. I pointed out that if he didn't have one, he'd need one, in order to to make one! (hammer)

And I didn't say he should use a router, I said that's how I would do it. It's perfectly feasible to pass a short piece through the router safely, either with a holding jig or with a fence and push sticks.

The OP said what he didn't have, though that was added after I replied, but didn't say what he did have, so all suggestions were a bit of guess work rather than definitive solutions. The 'right' way to do it depends a lot on how accurate the OP needs it to be as well as what tools he has and how well he can use them.

Don't think the OP is desperate for a solution or has already done the job.

Last post 11 Aug 2015, 18:15

Last logged in: 11 Aug 2015, 18:19

Back