Spindle Moulder Advice please...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewbullie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have bought a spindle moulder (Kity 609ti) which is a combined table saw. I have never used one before and I know very little about them. I have a number of questions which I would be very greatful if somebody could give answers to them. Please excuse me if my questions appear dumb but I literally have no knowledge on this topic.

Is there a limit on the type of cutters that I can use?
The spindle is 30mm dia but I have seen a lot of nice tooling in the USA second hand which states 1" 1/4 which is think equates to 31mm, would this be compatible?
Is the machine too small to build up window frame profile cutters?
I've seen adapters which enable the use of router cutters. My router cuts at 22,000rpm but this machine is limited to either 10,000 or 12,000 (can't remember exactly). How will this work with a router bit at the slower speed?
Do I always need to use cutters in pairs like on Eurocutter blocks with limiters?
What is the maximum depth of cutter block I could use? I think I have a 40mm.
What if I wanted to run off some 55mm architrave, can I get another cutter block which is simply bigger or would it create too much resistance for the machine to handle?
And finally, is there much difference in using the machine when cutting soft and hard woods and what precautions should be taken?

Many thanks in advance for any useful info you can provide.

Andy

Appleby woodturning sell top hats to convert 1 1/4" to 30mm, although I wouldnt recommend secondhand if you are new to spindle moulding.

It wont be powerful enough for large window tooling.

There are some 50mm snd I think 55mm cutters that will go in a 40mm block safely -a euro type block. What will fit is not always obvious as it may also ddepend on thickness of cutter. You need 2 cutters and 2 limiters.

Hello,

'I literally have no knowledge about' and 'spindle moulder'. Is it just me, or does anyone else think this sounds like suicide?

Get some training!

Mike.

You have identified your lack of knowledge and experience of spindles. You need to go on a training course on how to use a spindle.

Yes, a training course is the way to go.
I use this machine most days in my shop, but the advice I could give you might overlook
something that might be detrimental to a beginner.
A well structured course would not make such mistakes.

Good luck!

I often use router tooling in my spindle moulder, it's sometimes useful to have a large and accurate sliding fence, to be able to use the power feed, or to use the ring fence for copy routing, plus the extra weight and stability of the spindle moulder is a definite advantage for larger router cutters. The slower speeds aren't a problem for larger router cutters, in fact they're essential!

But you'd be crazy to try and figure it all out for yourself, it's just too dangerous. Missing one small step in a long and complicated check list is all it takes to cause a serious accident. Peter Sefton runs router and spindle courses, or you might find them offered at local colleges. But until you've had some training just leave a dust sheet over the machine!

+1 to the advice above. Re; the 1 1/4" stuff, beware of old tooling as a lot of it is obsolete, dangerous and illegal and yes, do go for the modern Euro cutters and limiters. Tooling has evolved a lot in the past few decades and the modern stuff is a lot safer. In the bad old days, even expert spindle moulder operators ran significant risks and workers with <10 digits were commonplace.

The spindle is a superb machine however and nowadays much safer than it used to be; but you need to know what you're doing. As others have advised - get some training.

You will need some training, as previous posters have said as there is so much to remember.
Pick a cutter block and cutter supplier, best not to mix'n match
most cutter blocks are rated for 7,000rpm up to 9,000rpm and should be stamped as such.
You need to learn about cutters and limiters, also packing the out feed fence with material to support the end of the timber being moulded so the stock doesn't bite at the end, as someone did on here a while ago!
I've been using these for years, time served, Spindle moulders can and will bite!
I suggest you give Peter Sefton a call, he's a professional too!
Regards Rodders

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm not totally new to machinery as I have been wood turning for the last few years on my lathe and have bandsaws, table saw, routers, etc. but I agree I should get some advice / training before using the spindle moulder as it is a new ting to me.

Many thanks

Back