WOODRAT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been thinking of getting a Woodrat , has anyone in the Stamford or Peterborough area got one . If it is not too much trouble, I would be grateful if I could have a look at it working
It will be mainly used for small dovetails and Picture frame, trinket boxes, etc
Thanks
Dick

I've one that I've not used for about 20 years.
Taking up wall space at the moment.
Probably an early model.
But looks like I'm even further away from you.

that boss looks a good bit of kit
wish i had the patience to learn how to use it

Steve

SteveF":2yofxe4m said:
that boss looks a good bit of kit
wish i had the patience to learn how to use it

Steve

It is. It's not that difficult to learn to use. When you see it in operation you will find it is quite intuitive.

Hi Dick. I've been considering buying a jointing jig for quite some time now, and was also thinking about buying a Woodrat, so would be very interested to hear how you get on.

Like a previous post, I think the thing looks so complicated to set up and mark out, I kept thinking performing brain surgery wearing a welder's mask would be easier.

For what you're needing to do, have you considered the Leigh D4R Pro? Looks like a lovely machine.

Regards

Jonny

JonnyW":2pj3hx1t said:
Hi Dick. I've been considering buying a jointing jig for quite some time now, and was also thinking about buying a Woodrat, so would be very interested to hear how you get on.

Like a previous post, I think the thing looks so complicated to set up and mark out, I kept thinking performing brain surgery wearing a welder's mask would be easier.

For what you're needing to do, have you considered the Leigh D4R Pro? Looks like a lovely machine.

Regards

Jonny

Hi Jonny,
The Leigh does look a good bit of kit. At present I am a in a strop I thought Peter Sefton was offering me a choice of two Router boss's but whilst emailing him they had been sold. should have been sharper

Oh dear. Nightmare. Yep I think you have to be pretty quick off the mark on this forum.

Jonny

I've had a WoodRat. I've tried the Leigh.

The Woodrat is considerably more versatile then the Leigh but I never really had a use for it and it remained gathering dust for years.

So I sold the Woodrat. I never bought the Leigh

If I was going to get something today then it would be the Router Boss because while the Woodrat design never developed past its limitations, the RB improved the concept.

Nice one Roger. Good to know that from an experienced user.

I'll definitely be checking out the Router Boss.

Jonny

Bought a Woodrat about 15 years ago. It was in my shop waiting to be set-up for most of that time. In the end I realised I'd have to scrap my lathe to find space for it, so it went on eBay.
I found that with a bit of ingenuity, I could make the Leigh Jig do most of what a woodrat does, and you have the router under control in your mitts!

Back