Gloat thread.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
That may well be 70's vintage. I had a R&L that looked pretty much the same except it had a brass back. I bought it new from axminster around '83 ish. I suppose the price also reflects the condition of the teeth, which the seller admits needs a bit more than a simple sharpen. Tiny teeth as well. Don't be tempted to convert it to an open handle unless the grain direction is suitable.

The teeth do been a bit of work I'll admit. I purchased a load of files and the veritas file gauge majiggy for CHT the other day so will will have a pop and sharpening it. My aim is to practise on my current saws before I upgrade to adria saws.
No point in spending hundreds on saws if I can sharpen then..
I won't be converting the handle at all, open pistol grip is preferred but it's not a big deal to me personally.
This is a personal thing but I much prefer steel backs on saws, looks nicer in my honest opinion.
If all goes **** up I'll just donate the saw to someone :) tho I'm sure I'm capable to making this thing cut
Before I try sharpening a saw with such fine teeth I'll first sharpen other with bigger teeth, so I geye hand of it first.

Cheers
TT

The boy did well!

I have a pair of saws from the Flinn stable, older ones, the handles are very much better looking, and I guess feeling better than the current offerings.

When you have the sharpening sorted, I may be looking for a sharpener....

Bod

I recently bought a similar Roberts & Lee dovetail saw, but with a brass back and even uglier handle, for £4.70 + £5 p&p on Ebay.

I'm leaving the handle alone, a closed handle means I can hang it on a cuphook on the wall as I'm too lazy to make a till. I used it at the weekend to cut dovetails in a toolbox I'm making for my greenwood tools - it is much better than my new Veritas one IMHO, even as it arrived without any sharpening. I can saw straight with it, I can see what I'm doing without having to peer around a bulky lump of black composite. It is a bit slower, but I'd rather take my time than be able to cock up more quickly :lol: I'm sure yours will be a tenner well spent.

I bought one of those strap-on-your-head magnifiers for when I'm sharpening my saws. It's a huge help and only £10 from Hong Kong.

John

Nice one tony,
You should build a till they are great fun, Ill post a pic but I don't know how to resize the pics :( my partner does that and she's away atm.
I like the veritas saws, we use them at college.

Why would someone make such ugly handles??

John, you got a link to that strap on your head magnifier? Could do with one.

I'm working on a saw vice atm, cherry and holly :) she will be a beauty when finished.

Thanks
TT

The shape of the handle is for mass production - or should I say even easier mass produstion, as they won't have to worry so much about grain direction, as the handle is supported top and bottom - just pop a blank in a jig and let the machine have at it.

On your new one you can clearly see if you altered it to open grip the handle would shear off as the grain direction is front to back.

rafezetter":8fwx2zz2 said:
The shape of the handle is for mass production - or should I say even easier mass produstion, as they won't have to worry so much about grain direction, as the handle is supported top and bottom - just pop a blank in a jig and let the machine have at it.

On your new one you can clearly see if you altered it to open grip the handle would shear off as the grain direction is front to back.

I noticed tht hat about mine, what's the best grain direction to have 45 degrees?
I have tiny dT saw my brother game me and been thinking of replacing it. I have some beautiful pear wood ready for such a job?

TT

Hi Toby,

I'd be very interested to know what design you've used for the saw vice - I've made one based on one that came up on 'The English Woodworker' blog, and although it's much better than the method I was using before (two bits of wood in the woodworking vise), I think it could be improved (a lot!)

Cheerio,

Carl

I will show the till when my partner is home so he can sizè the pics unless I email them to someone and they post?
The vice isn't ready yet but it's a reproduction of an old one I had but with a few changes.
More on that later.

My veritas handsaw file holder and files arrived yay. Also I found in one of my many drawere a pair of glasses with changeable lense.. X1.5 X2 and x3 plus it has a light on it. Knew I daves it for a reason..

I've seen some saw vices made from just 2 bits of ply but I like a bit more glits and glamor :)

Thanks
TT

What's the best way to a store saw files just spent a bit of money on them and don't fancy chucking in a drawer?

Thanks
TT

What's every one been buying?

Last week I bought 5 moulding planes (rebate,side beads, hollows and a moving fillister) for the gloat-tastic price of £1!

JohnPW":2fnkwzzh said:
What's every one been buying?

Last week I bought 5 moulding planes (rebate,side beads, hollows and a moving fillister) for the gloat-tastic price of £1!

£1
Thats a great buy. Love my moulding plane but recently used a router and I was amazed... New slope

TT

Well I popped into Axminster yesterday and spent £170 on...... Well not really sure. Odds and sods really. I bought a diamond sharpening stone, honing guide, a few turning bits and not a lot else!

I nearly bought a couple of Rider planes but they were closing so I didn't go back for them.

DiscoStu":3o592tml said:
Well I popped into Axminster yesterday and spent £170 on...... Well not really sure. Odds and sods really. I bought a diamond sharpening stone, honing guide, a few turning bits and not a lot else!

I nearly bought a couple of Rider planes but they were closing so I didn't go back for them.

The rider block plane is good. So is their copy of the stanley should've plane.

TT

tobytools":8w5i1sku said:
What's the best way to a store saw files just spent a bit of money on them and don't fancy chucking in a drawer?

Thanks
TT

Just keep the unused ones individually wrapped in paper. They should have been supplied that way. Any paper will do, you just want to stop them from knocking against each other. You could sort the various sizes into small cardboard boxes which would sit tidily in your drawer.

AndyT":2j6qvcdb said:
tobytools":2j6qvcdb said:

Thanks
TT

Just keep the unused ones individually wrapped in paper. They should have been supplied that way. Any paper will do, you just want to stop them from knocking against each other. You could sort the various sizes into small cardboard boxes which would sit tidily in your drawer.

I'm thinking of making a small box for them to go in with little deviders and labelling each section they live in so I remember what files does what,, tpi ect. And the files are not labled so.
Thanks Andy.

Just been looking at Skelton saws and some kits from Blackburn tools, must resist :)

TT

Back