Makers Mark

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
The die to stamp my brass backs arrived. 7 tonne of hydraulic pressure was needed to achieve a clear imprint on both lines of text. Nice craftsmanship from Chalco.

I still need to make a purpose jig before I can use it for my saw making work.

Stewie;

7 tonnes! I assume that's pressing it 'cold'. Is there any benefit to heating the brass to reduce the pressure required or does that just introduce more problems e.g. discolouration?

Mike.S":2nz8ml8o said:
7 tonnes! I assume that's pressing it 'cold'. Is there any benefit to heating the brass to reduce the pressure required or does that just introduce more problems e.g. discolouration?

Hi Mike. Yes. Pressing it cold. As per Chalco recommendations. Heating the brass would not suit my saw making process as I am using slotted not folded backs.

regards Stewie;

Thanks Mr P and Stewie, for expanding on that point. Also obviates another question I had - 'stamp before or after folding the back'; answer; use slotted backs :idea:

Mike.S":1m4a5sb8 said:
Thanks Mr P and Stewie, for expanding on that point. Also obviates another question I had - 'stamp before or after folding the back'; answer; use slotted backs :idea:

Hi Mike. For a folded back you would stamp the plate prior to folding.

Stewie;

The stamp was tested on 1.2mm brass over a hardened steel bed. It will be interesting to see if less pressure is required on 1/4" gauge brass back.

Stewie;

Mike.S":t0gz1d4q said:

Mike,

Can you adjust the blade in a slotted back?

John :)

John

That's getting a bit off topic (name stamping brass) but, if I understand the gist of your comment, I think the jury's out - some believe folded better (can adjust, as you say), others slotted (no need to adjust and easier to make). I own/use both types and remain firmly on the fence :)

All mine are folded; very old of course, and it's invaluable for tensioning or 'straightening' the blade. I've had one brass-back for fifty-five years. In all that time it's had only one new handle, one new blade and three new screws. The back is original! I call it 'Trigger's Broom'! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It isn't stamped at all BTW. :oops:
Hat, coat!

Back