Looking for Hand Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajayre

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to shave one or two mm off the end of small pieces of hardwood (3/4" x 7/8" cross-section) - the end grain. I was thinking of getting a disc sander but now I am thinking of making a shooting board instead.

I know nothing about hand planers. Can someone please make a recommendation of a specific make/model that I can easily get used off ebay perhaps? I know older Stanley/Records are in general recommended but there are so many different kinds.

This page (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/Setting Up and Using a Shooting Board4.html) recommends a low cutting angle and a plane where the blade width is less than the plane width.

Thanks!

I think the advice in the article you link to is good, that is "The simple answer is that you can use just about any plane". I've used most sizes from a Stanley no4 to a Record no8. For what you intend I think a Stanley or Record, numbered 4, 4 1/2, 5 or 5 1/2 will do just fine.

The key, in my experience, is to have the plane set up properly with a sharp blade - there's plenty of threads/articles on how to do that.

Back