Odd, under bench vice thing, anyone seen one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnser

Reaction score
I'm just trying to find out about this old vice thing,

Many, many years ago my late grandad bought a second hand woodworking bench and this thing has always been attached to it. I did ask him about it but the unintelligible mumbles that came out suggest he was probably as clueless as me. Although it was pretty hard to understand him at the best of times so maybe he did know.

This is all that's visible from the front:
tmp_4265-img_20150704_1557291236366590-jpg.67639

And underneath:
tmp_4265-img_20150704_160027-256844334-jpg.67640

I can't see any opening to the top...

Any ideas??

cheers

Hello,

I would say the front jaw is missing. Some sort of leg vice perhaps. Imagine a vertical board hinged at the bottom with the handle sticking out to open and close the jaw at the top, if that makes sense.

Mike.

Looks like the foundations of a front vice, originally there would have been a substantial wooden board across the front, through which the screw would pass and then apply pressure when turned. The rectangular hole would accept a rectangular piece of wood attached to the vice jaw which would prevent the vice twisting or racking.

It would have looked something like this when intact

ZD1KEnd.jpg

I agree with the guys above. That hole to the left looks like it would have been for a shaft to stop the vice racking.

You can see an example in the vice posted before when it is open.

face%20vice.jpg

Yes! that looks exactly it. The square hole even has guide runners inside that would work with a square shaft.

Thanks very much!

Back