Coronet Major - Motor speeds and Paint Matching?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilyWelshman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been lurking for long while here but this is my first post for a while. Having retired and got myself somewhat sorted out on the house/garden front, I thought to get back into woodworking a bit.

I managed to score myself a 1970's Coronet Major the other day - what an absolutely loverly bit of kit. It is all steel/cast ali. This one came with the 10" saw, 4.5" planer/thicknesser, morticer (Ridgeway bits!) plus some other add-ons.

Just a coupla things I'm looking for;

1. The motor is a Brooks 1ph with 3 pulleys, but the docs all show a 5 pulley motor. Does anyone know what the speeds for the 3 pulley system come out at?

2. Like any 45 yr old bit of kit she's had some knocks and scratches so I'd like to make her look her best - does anyone know of a dark maroon (orig Coronet colour) hand spray paint range that might match.

TIA any (& every) one who can help.

Wily Welshman
8)

Can't help with either of the detail queries, but just a word of warning; they are wonderfully versatile machines, but be VERY careful if using it as a lathe with the circular saw blade still in place. The guarding is good, but not so good that you couldn't have a really nasty accident (a friend came close to removing a section of forehead on his Minorette)

WilyWelshman":21nzn6cv said:
Hi all,

Been lurking for long while here but this is my first post for a while. Having retired and got myself somewhat sorted out on the house/garden front, I thought to get back into woodworking a bit.

I managed to score myself a 1970's Coronet Major the other day - what an absolutely loverly bit of kit. It is all steel/cast ali. This one came with the 10" saw, 4.5" planer/thicknesser, morticer (Ridgeway bits!) plus some other add-ons.

Just a coupla things I'm looking for;

1. The motor is a Brooks 1ph with 3 pulleys, but the docs all show a 5 pulley motor. Does anyone know what the speeds for the 3 pulley system come out at?

2. Like any 45 yr old bit of kit she's had some knocks and scratches so I'd like to make her look her best - does anyone know of a dark maroon (orig Coronet colour) hand spray paint range that might match.

TIA any (& every) one who can help.

Wily Welshman
8)

Japlaq; if you can still get it. Virtually spot on.

Have a look at Tekaloid too. It's brushing body paint for vehicles. Their Maroon was as close as I could ever find; close as makes no difference. My 1971 Major is as good as ever it was too.

HTHY and best of luck.
John

Measure the pulleys to the top of the vee and do the arithmetic. This will get you near enough.

Motor will almost certainly be 1425 rpm or just maybe 2850 rpm - look on the motor itself

Hi

the three speed Majors have speeds of 2000,3000 and 4000. The closest colour match you will find is Ral 3005. A good synthetic enamel is Tractol their code for Ral 3005 is Tractol 329. Smith and Allan will supply the paint for you via eBay in either a brush on or spray can.

I hope this is of help

Cheers

I'd have to do a comparison from that chart, but consider that the maroon paint I used on my old Austin Cambridge was the Tekaloid 'Maroon' of its day. (I am talking 1970s of course.

I think one or other of those red/maroon examples should be a close enough match.

Anyway I hope so. I am reinstating my Coronet, and the paintwork will need some touching up.

The reason for reviving the Coronet over my MFT; for one thing the Coronet is a lathe; and for another it's less of a faff for ripping small panels into cupboard components. I find it easier to take the work to the machine, rather than vice versa. I don't intend to ditch the track saw and MFT completely. It will be fine for breaking down 8 x 4s and using the Domino. I'm afraid handwork is going to be a bit of a struggle now my old bones are weakening. Still, better than no woodwork at all eh?

(hammer)

John

Latest posts

Back