Mounting and framing platter-type work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Late last year I made 4 shallow platters, around 6 inches in diameter, with asterisms/constellations marked on them. I've been toying with the idea of framing them together, 2x2 in a large, deep square frame.

My thoughts are as follows:

Select a suitable background paper of solid or patterned colour to match the platters;
Paste the paper to the hardboard backing of the frame;
Hotglue the work to the paper.

What's wrong (if anything) with this idea, and have any of you good people done something similar to this before?

Thanks,

Brian.

Brianp":3kgf4nxl said:
Has nobody done this?

end cheeky bump)

Doesn't look like it Brian LOL. The idea has merit certainly but not sure about using paper. I would have thought having a wooden backing that you clour if needed and fixing the platters with something a bit more permanent than hot glue. Be the first and show us the results.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I was thinking the hot glue would allow me to change my mind at a later time and maybe separate the pieces. Coloured backing of hardboard might be a better idea than the paper, thanks!

Is it too much to want it to be "permanent" AND reversible?

If you want to reverse it then instead of hot glue which can be a pain to get off sometimes why not make a way of mounting the platters e.g. little wooden stanchions that they can sit on. They can be made as part of the overall look of the piece or coloured the same as the backgrounbd so are less prominent?

Pete

What you've done there is made a very good suggestion! A couple of pegs glued into the hardboard should be the right job. And so much easier to get in a line aswell!

Flexibility to colour the pegs contrasting to the background etc. Many thinkings!

Thanks Bodrighy!

Latest posts

Back