What wood is this anyway?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
I made a centre gauge yesterday from some scrap I must have picked up somewhere, but have no idea what wood it is (not much change there then). I hope the pics are enough to tell. It was lovely to plane even if the grain is plain. It was hard instead of soft even though it looks a bit like balsa (which I know is classed as a hardwood...go figure).

IMG_0866-400.jpg

endgrain cleaned up to 180grit

IMG_0871-400.jpg

Bigger pics on photobucket
http://s982.photobucket.com/user/Rafezetter/slideshow/Wood species Identifier

Attachments

• IMG_0866-400.jpg
    IMG_0866-400.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0871-400.jpg
    IMG_0871-400.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 196
The idigbo I have smells of peanuts when you machine it. It looks similar. Is it easy to work with sharp tools (idigbo) or as hard as nails (ramin).

adidat":seyrol9j said:
Dose it smell like Brussels sprouts when you cut it as it might be idigbo

Adidat

I've just done a cut n sniff test and can't discern any smell at all compared to fresh cut pine or cedar, certainly not peanuts.

It was easy enough to work, but I keep my planes very sharp and waxed. My marking gauge didn't really like it though so I had to use my slitting gauge for dimensioning.

Edit: I've found this site and I think you're right it's Ramin or a version of it:

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/ramin/

As a newish member I find it very confusing that the last answer is displayed and not the original question. This makes it very difficult to know if you have anything to add. I know we British like puzzles but not in a chat room .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say Ramin too, it was very common in the door factory I worked in.
Not so common now it seems.
Regards Rodders

Click on "forums" at the top of the page, then decide where you want your post to put. Click "new topic" and away...
The original heading is above your post. To thank people click on the little yellow "thumbs up" in the right bottom corner.

Looks pretty bang on to the hundreds of lengths of ramin parting bead, that I can't remember ever buying, stacked up in my container.

phil.p":2edl4l4s said:
RobinBHM":2edl4l4s said:
There seems to be a few pale timbers like this including ramin, obeche, koto.
You forgot agba and jelutong. :)

Id forgotten about jelutong -I can remember using some for model making many years ago. Ive never heard of of agba!

I can remember obeche, a horrible woolly timber. Ramin used to be very common for small beads and mouldings that most timber merchants used to stock, my recollection was it used to split easily.

Jelutong is also knows as jellytong as its as soft as jelly, it also is very light, surprisingly light.

+1 for Ramin.

Pete

Back