Which Fire Extinguisher

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John15

Established Member
Reaction score
At the moment I don't have a fire extinguisher in my 14' x 8' shed and have decided I'm long overdue in getting one.
Flicking through various suppliers, there is a huge variety of types and sizes available. I think the one I need is a 1KG Dry Powder type. Am I correct or is there something else more suitable?

John

It really depends on what sort of stuff is likely to catch fire in your shed. If its just the normal wood paper etc. A water or AFFF foam would be suitable, i would use a 9 litre one.
A dry powder extinguisher can be used on normal fires, electrical and alledgedly oil fires. Though they are extremely messy. A 1kg one could be rather small if you need to use it in anger. I notice screwfix do some 6kg ones at a decent price.
I personally dislike dry powder extinguishers, but thats due to the last time i used one in anger, it was 150kg. Clearing up afterwards took weeks. It put the fire out, but in hindsight another sort might have been better. But it was the nearest to hand, and the likelihood of tne fire spreading and causing an explosion didn't allow time for messing around. By all accounts it looked spectacular

I asked a similar question a few years ago when I was building a new workshop, at the time there were a couple of firemen on the forum and their advice was very clear: dry powder, reputable brand, 4 or 6kg, one by each exit.

I'd agree- dry powder is incredibly messy, but it's practical for most common fires.

1kg is pretty useless.

My mates powder one went off when he dropped it while checking the servicing or renewel date.
Made a hell of a mess and most of his machines and tools went rusty in the following days.
Regards Rodders

Dry powder is not recommended for small or confined areas.
CO2 and a fire blanket have always been my choice.
A fire officer told me once "the bigger the extinguisher, the bigger the temptation to stay and fight it" :wink:

Am I right in thinking that all fire extinguishers need an annual service. This could cost even more than the extinguishers initial cost. A little like the burgalar alarm systems.

I believe the bigger Fire extinguisher's should be serviced every 2, or 3 years, It's usually written on the side and
a next service date, cost about £3, or £4.00 each time, most of us will need one once in our lifetime.
The smaller domestic ones vary somewhat, Its handy to keep a decent one in the house or in you're car, as my daughter will tell you when her peugeot 306 self ignited on the drive and burnt out, total loss, and insurance just transferred!
Regards Rodders

Thanks very much everyone for your suggestions and comments. I think I'll go with a 2 or 4 kg CO2 extinguisher and a fire blanket.

John

I bought a 6kg one that sits bolted to the roof of my workshop with a automatic valve
just in case anything sets light when i'm out
looks like a pumpkin

Look bigger than it is its about 10" deep

peace of mind I hope

What I was told about extinguishers was this.
Dry powder in a confined space is not desirable due to the risk of breathing in the powder, what the powder is I don't know.
CO2 extinguishers used in confined space can deplete the oxygen content, possibly making you lose consciousness. This is also not desirable, but as we breathe CO2 anyway, as it's in the air, it will not poison you.

Edit to add.

Some good info here
http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/extinguishers

This is an interesting and important discussion, it is vital to get it right as it could mean the difference between a bit of damage to losing a whole workshop. I have three extinguishers in my workshop, I have a small 1KG powder one by the bench, a 2Kg CO2 by the door and a 6Lt foam by the door. I suppose I should also have a fire blanket, it would be better to use that on a small fire rather than the powder.
Ian I like the look of your fireblitz, I will look into getting one of those.
I have a cousin who is a very experienced fire fighter, I have asked him if he will contribute to this discussion as it would be good to have professional advise and perhaps a definitive answer as to what fire fighting equipment to have in the workshop.

Thanks again guys for all your input. I'm holding off buying an extinguisher for the moment as it is obviously not as straight forward as I had thought.
For my small workshop the combustible material is the wooden structure itself, my bench, a few offcuts and some rags, And two plastic bins for rubbish and floor sweepings. There is the danger of electrical fires but I think that's unlikely as it was put in by a qualified electrician.
And I have a few chemicals such as WD40, glue etc.
From above posts it looks like CO2 and Powder are unsuitable.

John

I have a 12 kilo ABC class powder extinguisher in my workshop.

Foam does transmit electrical current so it is not an option around electrical machinery. Carbon dioxide is fairly difficult to control. When I took my hot works certificate we were taught that powder is the best one can use in a workshop or at a construction site.

I've been a retained fireman for 15 years and have been to all types of fires. I have three in my workshop (sorry I know it's over the top). Powder for electrical, water for wood/plastic etc and co2 as a last resort.

I wouldn't waste your money with a foam extinguisher. They are used for oils, petroleum or any other types of excellerant that need a blanket covering to suffocate the fire (some burning chemicals can react explosively when water is applied). In a woodworking shop you are not storing large quantities of the aforementioned liquids. If your pot of thinners or varnishes catches fire, then the powder will do it (within reason obviously). Remember - there is no need to empty the whole cylinder! Foam leaves a soaking wet stinking protein mess everywhere, so you're going to be cleaning regardless of what medium you use.

I do agree with the powder making a mess comments. I've been to numerous house fires, where the owners have left a God awful shambles. But saying that, their house was still standing. So I'd rather get the Dyson and mop out, than get the insurers out.

Jonny

Thanks again for the suggestions. It seems there isn't just one type of extinguisher suitable for a small hobby workshop and I don't fancy getting three types. The garden hosepipe is close by so maybe that will be as good as anything - except for electric fires.

John

Back