mounting posters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdesign

Established Member
Reaction score
bought some really cool prints and want to mount them on mdf what glue should i use ?
a contact adhesive that ud use for formica or will it run the paper poster?

any advice appreciated
regards richard

I've used 3M PhotoMount in the past, only because it was what my daughter used during her Fashion Degree work, don't know if it's viable for the size of your prints.

I'm with Chas. I think you are right to not use contact adhesive. The powerful solvent in it would probably make the paper transparent.

I've been mounting quite a lot of photos recently onto MDF and use 3M Photo Mount (red can). Works great.

I'd agree that spray adhesive is the best way to go. Not the stuff from Screwfix that's intended for carpets, the proper Photo Mount stuff.

thanks all,

will be trying it out this week will pick up the 3m photo mount stuff and a rubber roller to try and prevent any air bubbles.

will post some photos let you know how it turns out.

Richard

Watch out for the version of this that is marketed by EvoStik as something like "instant mount", and sold by B&Q. It appears to work for a few hours, then the print or whatever just falls off. :(

Bought the 3M photo mount the red can as suggested by CHJ and JJ1 thanks again. Bought 2 cans as wasn't sure how far it goes did 7 posters and still seems at least half full. expensive stuff but good 20 euro a can.

I mounted the posters on 6mm MDF for the smaller ones I cut them first on my table saw to size with a 30 degree bevel then spray painted the edge black and attached the poster.

for the larger ones I just stuck them down to the mdf then used my track saw to cut to the edge of the poster. turned them upside down on a piece of scrap and sprayed the edges black with a spray can. If i was two slow Heavy handed when spraying it could bleed under the poster but I quickly learn't that lesson and applied the paint in 2 light spray coats to make sure I didn't miss any spots.

I followed this guys method and it worked very well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3J8yph1wX8 . My shop was a bit too dusty for perfect results got a few bits of dust under the poster what leaves a tiny dimple but they look way cooler than just normally mounting a poster on the wall. My friends were well impressed. I attached a french cleat on the back for easy mounting to the wall for this I used trusty Mitre Bond.

my friends are all mounted and i Still have to put the french cleat on mine isn't that always the way.
will definitely do it again in the future makes really nice art out of cheap posters.
hope this helps anybody else who is thinking of doing it.
Regards Richard

Attachments

• IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1694.JPG