Graduate Lathe 3 phase motor vs single phase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEars

Reaction score
I have been given an old Graduate Lathe with a 3 phase motor. I do not have a 3 phase supply

I was about to change the motor to single phase, however I understand that changing the speed by moving the V belt is a pain

I recall seeing something about an "inverter" that can be added thus using the old motor and giving the added benefit of variable speed. Is this true?

If so where can I obtain an inverter and what do I need to know in order to ensure I get the correct one. Does it come with a wiring diagram.

many thanks

You need to check that your fitted motor is capable of being wired for 240v
the ratings plate will say 240/415v if so
you need to remove the motor from the machine to look and to do it
you need to put a new wire on the motor to go straight to the inverter
then its just connect the motor to the inverter and the inverter to the mains
then if you have just got the inverter as is you need to set parameters and wire in control circuitry
its not an easy job if you havent done it before
a package from ebay may be best

If your motor is 415v only, I can supply a modified inverter to run this motor from a standard domestic mains supply.
Replacing an older motor can often require the pulley to be machined to fit and in any case the motor starter will need replacing - about £30
An inverter does not require the use of a starter as the NVR function is built in.
I will require a nice sharp photo of the motor rating plate in order to undertake the modification.
email me via [email protected] if you decide to go down this route.

I'm a private individual not a business and if the mods regard this post as outside the rules please PM me to let me know and feel free to remove it.

Back