Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopchop

Reaction score
Hi, I'm due to start my joinery course in September and I'm slowly putting my kit together. My Grandad (who was a cabinet maker himself) in all the excitement of hearing I wanted to go into carpentry has very kindly bought me a new set of Ashley Iles Mk.2 chisels. I have however just seen the price and that they are intended for "fine work" and not really for an amateur hopping to become a professional one day. Can anyone advise me on a good set that I can take to college that would be more suited to rough work and everything up to fine work. I would like to try and keep the price under £150 for a set. But I would also like some that would last a good few years, so if I have to spend a little more then so be it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Believe it or not the Stanley Fatmax chisels are good for the money. I've a set I picked u from a tool fair several years ago for about £25. They've seen plenty of abuse from mortar chipping to snapping nails (yeah I know, not what they're for). Used for woodwork they hold a good edge and they have a strike cap, handy for knocking through knots with a hammer. You can pick up the 7 chisel set for under £40 (mine's the 5 chisel set).

I bought a set of marples split proof when I was an apprentice, about 17 years ago. They were great. However they got nicked, so I got another set, the new irwin marples ones. Not a patch on the old ones. I also have a set of marples with green plastic handles. They are good too. When I set myself up with a workshop I built a full set from eBay, buying one at a time. vintage ones from marples and sorby. They are my favourite and seem to keep a good edge and sharpen quickly. Didn't cost much either.

Thanks for all the advice. Great video from Paul Sellers! I had never heard of him before and now I'm hooked! I'm off to Aldi tomorrow!

A friend bought a few Narex chisels some years ago. I have tested them and also discussed them with him. We both agree that they are very good for their prize. Not up to the standard for high class cabinet work but more than good enough for all coarser forms of woodworking.

Just my (and his) oppinion.

I was looking at upgrading my mismatch set of chisels to the narex ones. Glad to hear that they are well regarded.
I also had the lidl ones for a while until the handles split on them.

Latest posts

Back