Cutting and then extending a dining table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatcho

Established Member
Reaction score
My father-in-law has asked with some help extending the aprons of his dining room table by approx 50mm (on the long side of the table). To do this I was planning on cutting the table frame in half and then inserting in a 50mm long piece of oak on both sides to extend the side apron. I was going to dowel and glue this into place then reinforce with some steel bar screwed into the inside (non-visible) side of the aprons.

My only concern is that the end grain will suck up the glue and that the joint might not be man enough? Any ideas on the best plan of action? Half-lap joints maybe?

End grain to end grain would definitely not be strong enough, and adding steel to reinforce could lead to problems of staining and rusting. Half-lap on both ends of a piece at least 150mm long would possibly work, but a better job, if you could find the timber, would be a complete replacement of the apron sides.

A total replacement of the aprons isn't really an option. Would the dowels not help to strengthen the joint up?

You can insert that oak piece as you suggest, but instead of a steel bar on the inside, glue and screw a longer piece of wood, so that
you get a kind of staggered joint. Preferably as wide as the apron so you have large gluing surfaces.

^ tell me about it. Means that another 2 chairs will be able to be used though so cheaper than a new table.

@ dzj: kinda like extending a floor joist just with glue and screws instead of paslode nails. Think that might work. Thanks.

I would half lap it as well, dowels have very little strength and metal would react with the oak.

Pete

I'd glue and screw a section of wood full depth of apron x 1" thick and extending 10" either side of the cut ends. Stick a 2" section of wood in the gap and make it a feature ie not flush with apron

Back