Strongest White Stain Available?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a white stain, the idea is it will entirely cover the wood not showing any of the figure.

I tried the Chestnut white but it's not as strong as I wanted. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

You could try making your own.
Traditional gloss paint and white spirit. Thin the gloss down until you get the right amount of opacity (Is that the right term? Answers on a post card please) and apply a few light coats.
I stained the cladding on my workshop with this method, first attempt not enough paint too much white spirit. Second attempt just right and two coats later looking good.

"Stains" which "will entirely cover the wood not showing any of the figure" are usually called "paints" And there's plenty of choice!

Right, I was kind of thinking this myself. I have no experience with paints and am worried about it flaking or cracking in future.

I guess I will be best with an oil based paint, i think i'll try diluting it too as n0legs said. I'd quite like to wax over it too in order to keep dirt off it.

Thinned white milk paint will allow the grain to subtly show through whilst still giving you solid coveraGE.

Linseed oil paint won't flake or crack.

Tetsuaiga":13ypuv6y said:
Right, I was kind of thinking this myself. I have no experience with paints and am worried about it flaking or cracking in future.

I guess I will be best with an oil based paint, i think i'll try diluting it too as n0legs said. I'd quite like to wax over it too in order to keep dirt off it.

Is this for interior or exterior, and on what is it to be applied to?

Tetsuaiga":1krltczw said:

Stepping back, what wood is it, and what usage will the item have?
Indoor, outdoor, handle/not handled?

BugBear

if you want it hard wearing and can spray lacquer u can add a tint to lacquer which will give a white gloss effect.
regards Richard

It was several years ago now but I remember watching a decorator painting over timber t&g ceiling cladding.
The client wanted a white smooth finish, and the decorator used Zinser B.I.N as the undercoat/primer which did achieve the desired look ready for the top coat which I believe was an acrylic paint.

Back