Wax on Oil on Euro Oak......I'm dithering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on finishing off a cabinet made from Euro Oak with Liberon Pure Tung Oil, wiped on with a bit of old T shirt and then wiped over to remove the excess.
Then it'll get 24 hrs to dry.
Then the plan is to wipe on some Colron Refined Beeswax (old T shirt agin) and again wipe off excess after 10 minutes or so and then give it some welly with the old elbow grease method.

I've done this before but using a different brand of Beeswax. I'm concerned because on the Colron tin it says for application on Bare Wood only.

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Is this type of finish common practice?

Am I being a Donkey?

Considered saving yourself the work and using Osmo Or Fiddes instead? I'd think it a much easier route to much the same effect. If you must use wax, I'd have thought microcrystalline better - it doesn't show every fingerprint like beeswax.

phil.p":3blo4mlb said:
Considered saving yourself the work and using Osmo Or Fiddes instead? I'd think it a much easier route to much the same effect. If you must use wax, I'd have thought microcrystalline better - it doesn't show every fingerprint like beeswax.

The main reason for using the products mentioned are because they are what I have available and I can't go spending on any more tins of stuff right now - the budget for furniture for our home is now officially zero due to other unforeseen monetary crises.

I've heard lot about Oslo Polyx and would love to give it a try but it'll have to wait.

Back