Where to find good hardware.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to complete a small Shaker style cabinet in Euro Oak and have started hunting around for some suitable hinges for the doors.
Now I don't profess to have a detailed knowledge of all things Shaker but I'm guessing that brushed satin stainless or fake antique brass are not going to give the piece an authentic look.

What I'm wondering is ...

does anyone know of a good source (preferably online) or near Tunbridge Wells for good quality well made cabinet hardware. All the usual suspects seem to have stuff which is either clunky, flimsy (sometimes both) or just downright ugly.

I can't justify Brusso on this project but if there's something out there that's better than the usual Ironmongery Direct fare then I'd like to know.

I do have an idea for an extremely discreet pin-type hinge, drilled into the bottom and top edges of the door and corresponding faces (top and bottom) of the carcass but haven't been able to quite figure out how to make it removable yet!!

Zeddedhed":1gca60m0 said:
I do have an idea for an extremely discreet pin-type hinge, drilled into the bottom and top edges of the door and corresponding faces (top and bottom) of the carcass but haven't been able to quite figure out how to make it removable yet!!

Make the bottom hinge a fixed pin and the top pin spring loaded with a release handle fitted into a small slot routed into the door. The release handle could be made so it screws into the sprung pin once fitted, that way you can rout a pocket slot instead of one that breaks through the top edge of the door.

HTH

Like sausage rolls and fish fingers, the quality of hardware seems to just keep declining!

I'm currently buying quite a lot from Horton Brasses in the USA, not cheap but a lot cheaper than Brusso, and they're well set up for dealing with international orders.

http://www.horton-brasses.com

2 1/2" solid brass butts in antique bronze or satin chrome at a good price from Anglefix...... in Tun Wells.

I dont know about a supplier for pin hinges though.

H E Savill Scarborough same range as Martins but much cheaper. Also Optimum Brass based Bampton Devon - same sort of stuff as Marshalls but more expensive - worth paying more to get the better service though....

Thanks people - some excellent links there - just what I'm looking for.

MMUK, if you're still reading this thread, I like the sound of your idea for a pin or dowel hinge although I'm not quite sure that I fully understand how this would work. If you're up for it could you explain it as though talking to a child

Back