Home made slot mortiser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking of making my self a slot mortiser using the the attachment from the old Lurem C210B that I have in storage (thicknesser is knackered,tried to get fixed locally but has been botched so now defunct) as I dont have room for that and the Felder B6 -26 in my workshop

So I'm looking for a single phase motor (2 hp) that I can put a chuck on, then build a small frame that will hold motor and so I can bolt on said attachment, something that can be stripped down when done with.

Any advice would be helpful and much appreciated :D

I'd like to buy the Felder attachment buts that's over a grand delivered + there's no room for it .

An induction motor (if this is what you have in mind) will have 2800 rpms max. Not enough for a slot mortiser.
People often use a larger router for this.

Put the drill chuck on a separate shaft, use a 2hp 2800 rpm induction motor and (stepped) pulleys.
For mortising you'll need at least 5000 rpms (depends on diameter of bit).
If it's just for boring holes for dowels and such, a 'direct drive' option will do.

If you go for the router, stay away from the junk, but most of them made these days will do.

i have a feeling that Steve Maskery made one some time ago.

Thanks for the reply's, all good advice. "Dennis that's the plans I looked at"! :shock: But I have a cast aluminium table from the old lurem C210 which looking at the router motor it looks like my old Porter Cable.

I thought about a motor with pulley's (plural) to vary speed, as a cheap and maybe somehow a bit more solid than the router + with a chuck I thought I would have a little more scope on bits, just a thought :D

Back