Burgess BK3 bandsaw repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
There have been quite a few posts on here over the years singing the praises of the Burgess three wheel bandsaw, or its equivalents from B&D, DeWalt or Record Power. I've contributed quite a few, saying how well it lasts etc. So imagine my disappointment recently when it made a funny noise I'd not heard before and stopped cutting!

This was the source of the problem: the red nylon drive pulley has had its teeth melted away:

IMG_3942_zpsbxcp3b5e.jpg

I think this must have happened because the belt started to disintegrate, slipped, and got hot through friction.

IMG_3943_zpshc63qz3x.jpg

It's not surprising really; I bought this saw secondhand about 25 years ago and have never replaced the original belt. I think the symptoms are the same as were described by wineprovider in this thread. He managed to buy some spare drive pulleys but noted that they were probably the last. I asked Jimi about it, knowing that he is another Burgess owner, and he pointed out that the tooth design and pitch are standard, used for timing belts and now popular among builders of CNC machinery and robots, and so easily available on eBay.

Indeed they are, and so are the belts, but after a while searching through a lot of nearly right parts I decided a little bit of work would be necessary. The only 14 tooth pulley I could find was shorter and not bored out centrally. I ordered one, for about a fiver, and a belt for the same sort of price.

They looked like this:

IMG_3944_zpsdrx8ici4.jpg

IMG_3945_zpswxjrggaf.jpg

IMG_3946_zps1vikarz7.jpg

so the challenge is to drill a 3/8" hole, properly centred and square. This could probably be done on a drill press, but an antique treadle powered lathe is just the job!

I clamped the pulley onto a face plate, lined it up on a tailstock centre to get it central, and tightened up the clamping bolts.

IMG_3947_zps1kit6k7d.jpg

and then drilled a series of holes, going up through the sizes from 1/8" to 3/8"

IMG_3948_zpsmnoqbczj.jpg

IMG_3949_zpsyb844gmd.jpg

That worked well. Because the new pulley is shorter, it can't hold on like the old one does, with a pair of slots sitting across a roll pin. I decided to drill and tap for a couple of M4 grub screws, so it was out with the drill press

IMG_3950_zpsokwuj1hp.jpg

clamp the pulley, centre punch by eye, drill

IMG_3953_zpsqgtrz6qq.jpg

and tap

IMG_3954_zpshd0uh3yf.jpg

and repeat for luck.

It worked!

Here it is installed

IMG_3955_zpsd2j31z9h.jpg

so it's all good for another 30 years, for about a tenner.

The real point of this long rambling post is partly to stress that even if 'official' parts are unavailable, there are replacements that can work, but mostly it's to say that other owners could do well to buy a new belt a bit sooner than I did, and prevent the problem from occurring at all!

For reference, the belt is described as 120XL037 where 120 is the number of teeth, XL is the tooth form, which has a pitch of 0.2" (so the length is actually 12") and 37 is the breadth of the belt in mm. The pulley is described as 14XL37, ie 14 tooth 37 mm width between the flanges, and in this case was 'pilot bored' only to 0.2" meaning that there was a short, blind hole of that diameter behind a useful size countersinking.

Excellent detective work and full marks for the positive approach, good to hear the "can do" attitude.
As you say, Loads of life in the saw still, thanks for that.
Regards Rodders

AndyT":1nolfn6q said:
For reference, the belt is described as 120XL037 where 120 is the number of teeth, XL is the tooth form, which has a pitch of 0.2" (so the length is actually 12") and 37 is the breadth of the belt in mm. The pulley is described as 14XL37, ie 14 tooth 37 mm width between the flanges, and in this case was 'pilot bored' only to 0.2" meaning that there was a short, blind hole of that diameter behind a useful size countersinking.

Well not quite but your heart was in the right place

120 teeth at 0.2" pitch which is 24" long

XL belts are imperial in all respects and the 37 refers to the number of 0.01" across the width = 0.37" or 3/8" nominal.

Hmm... Well I'm still confused. I was definitely writing nonsense when I said 37mm without thinking about how big that was, so thanks for putting that right.
But the original belt was marked 120XL37 and when I ordered a replacement by that number it fitted, and it really does only measure 12" long. It must have only 60 teeth, so how does that marking system work?

Very smart Andy. I'm still struggling with my BBS20, I need the high speed wheel and pinion etc, not easy to find I think (except if I buy a whole new/old saw). Then the guides need some work, I think the BK3 guides are better.
Like your pillar drill; a lot too, very nice looker =D>

Sorry for the age old thread resurrection just wanting some assistance on my BK3 if Andy still posts or anyone else able to comment :)

My drive wheel (bottom right wheel) has a issue with the centre bush which the bolt goes through appears to be conical shaped, so the wheel wobbles and rattles on it causing blade to move out of alignment. I assume it's not supposed to be conical shaped and should be parallel?

Anyone any ideas on how to fix - replacement wheel aren't available following numerous searches it appears. don't have the physical space for a more modern 2 wheel bandsaw hence the 3 wheel one - fits perfect in the space i have.

Has anyone replaced the centre bushing? is it possible to push it out and replace or am i looking at replacing the whole wheel :(

many thanks for any assistance on this - was just in the process of going to order some new blades from Ian when i found this issue.

Gary

Well, for anyone remotely interested based on the number of replies my last post got - lol, I removed the centre bushings they push out neatly and found they where conical shaped with around 1mm play in them

I made a replacement out of brass which fitted and rotates nicely with no signs of play in the stub bolt.

Gary

Back