Teething problems with water based lacquer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tattie

Reaction score
Hi folks,
First time on a forum, I need your help!
I have just switched from using precat to a water based lacquer and am having difficulties. I am using isf aquabuild and a turbine HVLP setup with a 1 .3 air cap.

My problems are blistering mainly. Also it seems far to liquid. I propped up my sample boards after spraying and the lacquer all just ran off and puddled on the floor. I suspect I am putting on to thick a coat but when I thin it and try to spray a lighter coat it doesn't seem to flow together. It seems impossible to even get orange peel. I now long for orange peel!
It seems to take longer to dry than everyone is saying it should on these forums, I'm wondering if perhaps the product could be to cold? It just seems to sit on top like a puddle until it dries. There is no way it could be used for spraying verticles?

I read somewhere (now I'm not sure where) that instead of staining the piece first I should mix waterstain at a ratio of 2:1 with aquabuild and spray it on. This would save bleeding. Would that be correct?

A separate wee question. I have been reading on this forum about using shellac as a sealer. Is shellac sanding sealer for French polishing the same. Also if it's used on a table would it not bloom under the topcoats if something hot was placed on table?

Many thanks in advanced or any help

Latest posts

Back