Custom planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have copied and pasted some of their descriptions. For example both a 45 degree and a 55 degree frog are common pitch.

I thought that Veritas called them York pitch on their info.

Having solidified their offerings of already-assembled-planes I suppose this was the only logical encore, if you had to have an encore. One does wonder how these are selling.

It'll be very interesting to see how these work out over time. I think offering an option on the tote is wise as it's a marmite aspect of planes. I'm not sure if the choice of frogs is worthwhile or not. The look has grown on me and I'm sure they are very well made.

The length of the irons would put me off.

If I was in the market for a high end plane (I'm not) I'd save a few more pennies and get something else.

Veritas Custom 4 1/2 = £243
Clifton 4 1/2 = £280
Lie Nielson = £318

phil.p":3ki15ata said:
I wonder the wisdom of making the No.5 1/2 and the No.7 2" wide? I'd have thought part of the attraction of those sizes is the additional width.

It may be a pragmatic decision to limit the number of components they have to manufacture. As it is, they're supplying frog castings in several 'standard' angles, and they'll do them at custom angles as well. If they had to double all that up at 2 3/8" wide as well as 2" wide, it could get even more complicated than it already is.

One up for the Bailey/Bedrock/Woody crowd. Several different plane widths - especially vintage woodies - to satisfy all tastes.

Have they dropped A2? If they have then I guess that the answer to all our problems had a fairly short career.

phil.p":y442jccu said:
I wonder the wisdom of making the No.5 1/2 and the No.7 2" wide? I'd have thought part of the attraction of those sizes is the additional width.
I agree. I wonder, seeing as they wanted to limit this range to a single width, why they didn't choose 2⅛" or 2¼" - both common widths in wooden planes?

Cheers, Vann.

edit: d'oh #-o . I should have checked Lee Valleys website before going off half-cocked #-o

Hello,

I understand that the irons come in 2 and 2 3/8 sizes as we are familiar with. The lenght of the blades is not an issue, the new adjusting mechanism does not require them to be as long, overall, as we are used to. The business end is 1 1/2 in long, the same as any other Veritas bench plane. I think they are potentially a good concept. The prices seem favourable compared to other premium planes, if you could ever say these prices are favourable!

I predicted axminster's stocking of these, when the sale of Veritas standard planes were so heavily discounted.

Mike.

I must be missing something (as usual) isn't the difference between a 4 an 41/2 (or 5 and 51/2) that the 1/2 sizes are wider? If they're the same width then what is your extra £10 for? Suppose the half sizes are heavier, I always thought they were heavier because they were wider.
I like the feature "without tiring to use". Good idea, my stanleys can knacker me right out
Paddy

Hello,

They definitely do come in 2 and 2 3/8 widths, as appropriate. There are typos on the Axy website, which should read 60mm rather than 50 in the 1/2 sizes and the 7. Fear not!

Mike.

Quite right - both 2" and 2 3/8" widths available. It'll be interesting to see how many people take up their offer of custom frog angles, and why.

The vintage woodies still win on blade width variety, though. Smoothers with 2", 2 1/8", 2 1/4" and 2 3/8" all seem fairly common, and I've seen tapered cut irons offered from about 1" to about 2 3/4", and uncut irons from about 3/4" to about 3". Most seem to bedded at about 45 degrees, though; with the occasional one at a higher angle.

Mr_P":1vuv8969 said:
The length of the irons would put me off. ...

BU plane blade, Custom plane blade, Stanley replacement blade ....

All the same length under the slot ...

Changing-blades8_zpsfledgltp.jpg

The Custom Planes provided the opportunity to explore plane design and use. For those interested in this area ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReview ... anes1.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back